Can a shop have too much lighting?

Page 4 of 4

I'm not up to date on the new regulations, but there are regulations for disposal. The lamps contain heavy metal and should not just be trashed. http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/id/merc-emi/merc-emi.htm http://www.mercvt.org/dispose/lamps.htm
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If you read the EPA rule you'll find, first, that if you generate less than 100 kg of regulated waste of the category in which fluorescent lamps fall per month you're not subject to the regulations and can just send it to the landfill, and second, that only lamps that fail the "TCLP" test are regulated. Fluorescents that pass that test are marked with green endcaps--the Phillips "Alto" brand was the first but I believe there are others.
The Vermont regulations referenced in the second item are more stringent than the Federal, and miss the point which is that by encouraging the use of low-mercury fluorescent lights environmental mercury can be reduced by reducing power consumption and thus mercury release at power plants--at least that seems to have been the EPA's reasoning. By having unreasonable disposal requirements Vermont discourages the use of energy-efficient lighting.
--
--John
We do and will continue to do so.

Most of us do.
As a kid, we used to play with mercury, now if a drop is spilled in a school lab, they will evacuate the school and have a hazmat crew come to clean it up.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I remember vividly a kid in my chemistry class swallowing a blob of mercury. The teacher didn't think it was anything to worry about (she had been involved in the Manhattan Project--she knew her stuff--wasn't ignorance). With him it was kind of hard to tell whether it had any effect--this was the '60s and the '60s were _very_ good to him.
--
--John
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:21:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"

No. Just such a lofty idea of what "mattered" that little mercury was drop in the ocean! <G>
I can remember my old man (worked in a lab) giving me a bottle of mercury to play with...silvering mirrors, making little switches and such for fun. Little worry or warning. But then we had teachers who used to drop sodium in water while we all stood and watched (no glasses), and dry white phosphorus in the sun on the verandah outside the classroom....those were the days. ***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Yep. I remember that. Strange how many things will kill the modern person. We were tougher back then:)

cutting his finger on a piece of broken neon and being treated for mercury poisoning... it wasn't pretty and gave me a lot of respect/fear of breaking any kinda glass tubes..
Mortimer Schnerd, RN said:

Err... They contain mercury and phosphors that are bad for you and the ground water. This is one reason that T-8 bulbs are being required in commercial establishments. They use less power for equivalent light, and have reduced mercury and phosphor content. Electronic ballasts, and 0 degree starting temps are added benefits.
FWIW,
Greg G.
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:27:11 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I don't remember exactly which regulation we have to adhere to, but it's one of those ISO yada yada government-mandated-if-you-want-work-you-gotta-follow-our-rules things. ISO14000, ISO14001...whatever. The lamps are on 24/6 and every week there's a new crop of dead tubes in the storage rack. The guy that comes to pick them up always has a cat-that-ate-the-canary look on his face, plus the electricians, who are under contract to us have bought new trucks the past three years. I'm in the wrong line of work - :)
Tom Flyer
On 15 Oct 2004 10:25:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

Only when the wood starts to smoke... Also Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Why not have all the light you can afford, want, and pay for. Were only going this way once....Dan

kids and grandkids are coming on...otta leave um sumpun.
Dan
On 17 Oct 2004 21:46:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Dan Cullimore) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Why? No bastard ever did it for you! Look at the mess we are headed into already! Except Ralph Nader and his ilk, and see what most people think of _them_. ***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Old Nick wrote:

It's all going to run out eventually. Alternatives exist, when they become cost-effective (i.e. the price of what we use now goes high enough) they'll be used. There's a lot of technology that sits on the shelf because the greenies have us too chicken to use it. When we're freezing to death in the dark see how long it takes to tell the greenies to either light us a fire or go pound sand.

--
--John
On 17 Oct 2004 21:46:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gte.net (Dan Cullimore) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Few less kids and grandkids, and we would all have a lot less to worry about....