buying tools on ebay (part 2)

well, I won the Senco SNS45Xp that I was bidding on. $195 + $32.25 for shipping = $323.29 Canadian after exchange. Way cheaper than I can buy it for here. Now my paranoia...I dropped an e-mail to the seller as to a UPS tracking number and he fails to respond (2 e-mails). How long is a reasonable time to wait. He said in an email (after I won the bid) that as soon as my payment was verified by PayPal that he would ship the stapler. The transaction has already shown up on my on-line American Express bill. How long does paypal take to confirm payment? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
TB

Mark L.

Actually I don't think you can fall back on AmEx. His charge is from PayPal, and as long as PayPal does what it is supposed to, he has no grievance.

His complaint should be to PayPal, and he should do it now rather than latter. I had someone refuse to do anything until I filed a complaint with PP. Then he shipped, and gave me a bad feedback. Fortunately he had the good grace to drop out of Ebay, so he shows up as no longer registered.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Mark L.

The vendor billed it directly to AmEx, right? Yeh, that is completely different. You paid the vendor, and he didn't ship. Here they are paying PayPal. Unless PayPal does something wrong, AmEx will not care. Afterall, it is not PayPal's fault if the vendor doesn't ship, so why should PP be out the money?

Reply to
John

eBay owns PayPal. If the dude does not ship to you, you can go through ebay and get your money back. They can just debit his account if he keeps any money in it and give you your money back. They have a system set up to prevent you losing out on this. Read the details on their web site.

I have purchased a LOT of tools on ebay and never had a problem. I got

57 resp>>I had a dispute with a vendor who never shipped something that was
Reply to
Mapdude

Hello I've bought & sold many tools on eBay. The notification of payment from Paypal is almost instant , as soon as you receive your notification of payment , the vendor should receive their notice. You're right when you say . Way cheaper than I can buy it for here. Coming from a fellow Canadian , the prices here really suck. Even with the exchange the prices are no comparison. I've had only one bad experience. Bought something , but never received the item. Never did get it resolved. The vendor is no longer an eBay member. It's a good idea to check the feedback rating of the seller , like someone already mentioned , it's no guarantee but it sure helps if the seller has a high positive feedback. I would not be too worried yet. Some don't check their e-mail on a daily basis. Good luck. ron

Reply to
Ronald Murray

Ebay is no longer the friendly little place where people sold their old stuff they wanted to get rid of. Back then you could always count on a personal touch becasue it was personal. Now with so many business selling thousands of items each most of them simply don't have time to tend to the small things like confirming emails. Give it a few more days. It may arrive without you ever receiving a response. Happens to me from time to time. MIke in Arkansas

Reply to
JMWEBER987

just don't let 30 days elapse or you can't get your money from paypal. You can file with paypal for a charge back but you only have 30 days so don't let it go any longer. paypal you have 45 days I think. paypal tends to side with the buyer not the seller.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I sell on ebay all the time and make every effort to respond to customers inquiries, concerns, or complaints ASAP. That said there are times when I am away from the computer for a few days and I cant answer emails. Give the guy a few more days to respond. DON’T leave negative feedback without exhausting all efforts to resolve your concerns. It is the major tool that you have to receive satisfaction in this transaction.

If you can have the guy send via USPS. It is way cheaper then UPS for anything to Canada. UPS will add $30-40 import tax that you will have to pay before you are given the package. Most of my Canadian customers aren’t charged any tax for USPS delivery.

Scott

Reply to
vmtw

Q. How long is a reasonable time to wait.? A. many times I have been anxious to get something and waiting the full two weeks has served my parinoia..

Q. How long does paypal take to confirm payment? A. you can log into paypal and see for youe self if the payment has been claimed ?? ( not sure of your question here)

I have discovered that there are a LOT of folks out there that are Not very good at getting back to e-mails.. I recently sold a Car on Ebay. the bidder turned out to be in England (UK) I started getting paranoid, as the guy would NOT respond to any of my e-mails But per the Auction instructions he paid me a deposit. when I started to think it was a Scam or "??something" ( I had been contacted by the shipper ) I sent him another e-mail demanding full payment... still no answer to the e-mail But he paid me in full!!!.. I still have only gotten one e-mail from this guy but the car is gone and I have the money???? go figure...

good luck,,, Most of the people are Honest you should go with the odds..

Reply to
Gregory Jensen

Be careful about Paypal's guarantees. They're mostly marketing. Read the fine print.

I'm going through the process now for two purchases from a vendor that never shipped. Long story short, one Paypal payment was returned by Paypal only because (a) the seller had money left in their account, (b) the complaint was filed within 30 days of auction end, and, (c) the seller couldn't confirm shipping the item.

If the seller's account was empty, I'd be out. Period.

The other payment was over 30 days when I filed a complaint. Paypal says I can pay them $25 or something to mediate the dispute, or I can go to the credit card company. Fortunately I paid Paypal with a Visa card, and Visa claims they will reimburse any fraud in the Internet. We'll see.

I say fortunately, because I hooked up both the credit card and a bank account to Paypal. Now when I pay Paypal automatically tries to take money from the bank account, and I have to switch each time to pay from the credit card. I expect this is because once Paypal has your cash, they've got it, but the credit card companies can do chargebacks on them for fraudulent sales. Some sellers have told me they won't take Paypal from a credit card because they've had chargebacks later from the credit card company, so I suspect paying by credit card gives the buyer more leverage.

Good luck!

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41

Paypal is worthless for returning your money CANCEL the payment to them from the AMEX card if the deal looks flaky If I had let paypal handle the return of my money I would be out $4750.00 for an item I purchased a few years ago, I followed their BS and filed a report to them a few days after I figured out that it was a rip off. ( less than about 4 days after the payment ) one month later I get a report form paypal sorry we can't give you back the $$ Well too bad paypal as I canceled the payment to them the day after I filed the report! One day later I get a nasty gram from paypal that I was a bad boy for canceling the payment to them and that was the end of it ( as far as the money went :-) The FBI and all the other stuff for the seller ( was selling stolen items from his work about $250,000 worth of high end SVGA projectors, and scammed over $300k from e-bay bidders that did not get the items), took a bit longer.....

William

Reply to
William