Buying Online - Hard Maple and Oak

Page 2 of 2
On 11/15/2013 1:49 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote: ...

Bet he'd say one of two things -- it's what the almanac said or more likely what his grandaddy told him. :)
On 11/15/2013 1:49 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Perhaps, taking down the trees in the fall there were no leaves on the tree to deal with.

Or more likely, the frozen ground (yes, it was the far north) at that time of year made snaking them out of hte woods easier...
Scott Lurndal wrote:

IIRC, It makes a difference whether the bark falls off the wood or not. With sap=yes, Without sap = no.
On 11/15/2013 4:14 PM, Bill wrote:

Well there you go again, that would make a good reason but I would think just the opposite.

Right. And color...winter = darker/harder
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/15/2013 3:07 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Are you saying that the wood through out the tree is darker in the winter? I wonder how/why the inside heart wood of the tree changes color.
Leon wrote:

No. dadiOH was saying that where your wood was grown will affect the growth rings (the width corresponding to the amount of spring/summer growth, versus winter growth (the darker part)).
I know that the season in which one cuts the wood affects whether the bark stays on easily or not. IIRC, if there is sap close to the cambium layer, then the bark can release (fall off) easier.
There were some sidetracks in this thread. I host this helps to clear things up. I already designated dadiOH I the person with the most knowledge on the matter. So I have let him answer before me.
Bill

I am able to sometimes bring the world relatively useless information that is sometimes accurate. The rest of the time I just make stuff up :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Jackel Enterprises in watsonville. I get oak there, often for less than $3/bf. I buy most of my wood there.
http://jackelenterprises.com/inventory/inventory-hardwoods.htm
Claro is available from Baker in gilroy, but $$$. Nice, wide slabs tho.
http://www.bakerhardwoods.com/
Global Wood Source in Santa Clara:
http://www.globalwoodsource.com/
scott
On 11/14/2013 10:51 PM, WD wrote:

Don't know anybody in CA directly and not even sure where in CA Central Valley is, but...
I'd suggest
a) rent a trailer and b) surely there's a local cabinet shop or other large user from which to find their sources and c) unless really, really need it for a few specific surface pieces, I find 1C is a much better buy.