Buying my 1st router

i'm relatively new to woodworking and i need advice on what i should look for in buying my 1st router. i'd like to get a router that will do a good job for as little $$ as possible. thanks in advance.

We all would. Cheap routers cause more problems than they are worth though. When a tool is spinning at 22,000 RPM you want it to be accurate, not for the bit to slip and easy to control.
Avid Ryobi, Craftsman made by Ryobi, any low priced brand.
Buy with confidence anything from DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee. Consider one of the multi-based routers and it will do what you need for many years.
You will find a lot of good information, suggestions, reviews at www.partwarner.com Pat may well be the best in the world for routing.
s/b http://www.PatWarner.com not partwarner. To my knowledge he's a full Warner.
wrote in message

Thanks. The speel cheeker duznt get URLs.
He should also consider Hitachi M12VC, last week at Lowes selling for $93. and Amazon also about the same price. Today at Amazon selling $129.99. It's a good solid piece of tool like my Hitachi M12V and it would be safe to say you can't go wrong with Hitachi. See listing below:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

As much as I love my two M12Vs (not "Cs" though; I think they're a little different), I wouldn't consider recommending them (or any other 3 hp plunger) as a first router. It's sort of like driving brads with a sledgehammer.
Still, at $93...you might as well get your second router for that price after buying another better choice for the first one.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:32:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@inherentsys.ca (gsl) wrote:

I have an article on that very subject on my website (below). It's also reproduced at http://www.woodcentral.com in the Articles section.
A short answer is the Porter-Cable P-C 690 that both borgs seem to be carrying now for $100. I don't think there's a better buy on the tool market right now.
Keep in mind that this is your FIRST router. It will not be your LAST router.