buying machinery for a shop

Ok, I have wanted forever to have a shop, and I am prolly putting the horse before the cart and I know that I am going to hear both sides here. I called a number I saw in the want ads for some little piece of machinery and ended up buying a craftsman radial arm saw for 250. I mentioned I would like to find a bandsaw and he had a friend who just bought a house with a complete workshop in it and was selling his 14" Grizzly. Called him, bought it for $175. He said he was going to sell his Jet 6" planer, looked new, got it for $200. Said he had a Rockwell table saw at the new house that he was going to sell, prolly for $300. Going to take him the money for the jointer Saturday, and then go look at the TS. As this is an "older" man who bought a house from an "older" man and both were using the equipment, I feel pretty OK about buying this equipment, but would like some suggestions on what to look for on the TS. I thought that by buying used, I could recover some, if not most of my investment if it does not turn out to be what I want to do and I could always sell and upgrade. Thank you in advance. David.
I meant 6" JOINTER. I wonder why the spell checker missed that one?
David wrote:>I meant 6" JOINTER. I wonder why the spell checker missed that one?

Because you spelled "planer" correctly. Tom Work at your leisure!
It was a joke Tom. : )

that
Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.
Toller wrote:>Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

Not really a word, unless it gets used more. I claim poetic license. Saves me from using "emoticons". Tom Work at your leisure!

I espect so....
Gee, dunno....

It's a kind of plasticky varnish, isn't it?
*snicker*
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I thought it was a name commonly given to prarrots by prirates.

--
--John

"Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven! Awk!"
Never mind. it's just a one-bit parroty error.
As for parrots and pirates, "The Wonderful O!", by James Thurber, is a *must* read.
Isn't Prolly that clear finish that they use in Japan?

David, The tool snobs will disagree, but I think you are heading in the right direction. The machines you have mentioned will be quite servicable until your skills progress. By then, you'll know where your priorities are. Meanwhile, you'll get your shop started without taking out a second mortgage.
As for the table saw; check for slack in the adjusting mechanism, especially the tilt. Lay a straightedge across the table in several places to be sure it's flat. I'm not saying to obsess over whether you can see light under it, but you shouldn't be able to slip a business card under it anywhere. Extension wings can usually be adjusted into alignment unless they're bent. If it's a Rockwell, it "prolly" has cast iron wings anyway. Check the fence to be sure it's straight and locks down tight. It's really good if the fence locks down parallel every time, but most don't. It would be hard to make a huge mistake on a $300 Rockwell table saw unless it's totally trashed. If it turns out not to be what you want, you should be able to get your money back easily.
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Don't worry David; you are correct to put the horse before the cart.

horse
and
bought
he
who
feel
recover
want

Here are some things I would look for in a table saw: 1)Good fence, easily adjusted and parallel to the blade at least 30" to one side of blade. 2)Dust collection 3)Must be powerful enough to rip a 2" thick oak board 4)Sturdy base. 5)Splitter should be easy to remove 6)Emergency shut off capability. Good unit will have a large switch that allows you to shut the machine off with your knee 7)Good flat cast iron top. I owned a craftsman with aluminum top. After a couple years use it was no longer flat
George
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:05:41 GMT, "David Cannaday"

This may be a good idea, although I don't know your question. I find that buying used equipment is a hit-or-miss situation. I would give particular care about having a quality table saw with a quality fence, as this is the workhorse of most wood shops.
David Cannaday wrote:

Actually you can make back a least what you have in the machines.
If you aren't too shy about rebuilding/refurbishing you can make more than your initial monetary investment.
UA100
Thanks to everyone for all the help. And I promise not to use prolly instead of probably in here.
probably probably probably...