Buy a jig or have them done by CNC?

this

using

Norm made one on The New Yankee Workshop. And CNC is a bit overkill. You don't need that level of accuracy. Phil Brown

Reply to
Phil Brown

it costs £39.92 and is very efective for its price

Hi

Having read the review and watched the instructional video, I have decided to order one of these. I will let you all know how I get on, but for the price I don't think I can go too far wrong.

Cheers Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

---------------------------------------- Yep, made one for a router equipped with a 5/8" bushing.

Then a few years later, he was seen using this one with a drill.

drill version is a whole lot easier to use, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

OTOH, it doesn't get much easier than typing a short command line and pressing "Enter" at the CNC console - then watching (or not) as the tool does a faultless job.

The overkill part is knowing in advance that none of the shelves will wobble. ;-)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote

I use dado joints for my shelves. They don't wobble.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Not after the TiteBond-II sets, anyway.

Reply to
keithw86

be very cheap particularly as a local company would of done them in exchange for some repair work I did on a controller last year. Still I have gone with a cheap jig and will keep that favor in the bank for when cnc routing is a better fit.

cheers Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

The jig should do a passable job for you - and you shouldn't be misled by my (smallish-minded) attempts to remind the Festool crowd that those tools aren't the final word in speed, accuracy, and ease of use. ;)

FWIW, I would expect that nearly all CNC routing shops already have a code block to drill or rout holes on a parameter-controlled grid. Even before my machine was delivered I had written that routine and another to rout all the holes in Euro-style cabinets. I never made any kitchen cabinets, but I've (re)used the grid-drilling code a fair amount. You should probably revise their programming time to somewhere near zero.

Since you know enough to help them out with their controller, let me encourage you to think about a project like

only might you find something like fun to build and play with, but it's a wonderful jig- and template-making tool. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

my projects completed and now you have given me the idea for a new one! ;)

Must admit I have considered it before but is only with my recent house move I have had the space and it does sound like a fun project. Nice site by the way.

Cheers Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

It's a good project to let simmer until winter, then stretch the design work out until spring. It's not a big challenge so much as a collection of tiny ones. At the end, the satisfaction from watching it work is all out of proportion to the size of the machine and the work that went into constructing it.

The most surprising part of the project for me was how much less complicated the electronics were than I had imagined.

If you decide to build one, you're invited to consider me a resource - and if you have difficulty finding (or ordering) parts, I may be able to help.

Thanks - it's actual proof that if one can just take enough photos, at least some few are bound to turn out as intended. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 16:43:39 -0500, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

I ended up with 287 or so pics inside the Wildlife Safari in Winston, OR that one morning I went. Digital cameras rule. ;)

-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

Reply to
Larry Jaques

> it costs £39.92 and is very efective for its price

Well I have nearly completed the project and I must admin all in all I have been quite happy with the jig. I would say however a better indexing method would help and a bit more adjustment on the fence too, but what do you expect for £40. All in all I am very happy with it, thanks for the recomendation.

Cheers Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson