Buy a jig or have them done by CNC?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All
I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the shelves, and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I am currently considering two options, buying a jig like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_idx8455&src=froogle and using this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having them do it. As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to woodwork but I am certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again but not on a regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be appreciated.
Cheers Stuart
Hi All
I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the shelves, and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I am currently considering two options, buying a jig like this http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_idx8455&src=froogle and using this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having them do it. As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to woodwork but I am certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again but not on a regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be appreciated.
Cheers Stuart
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:09:36 +0100, "Stuart Pearson"

Why are you posting this question again?

Hi
Sorry, news reader must be playing up,
Cheers Stuart
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 22:54:35 +0100, "Stuart Pearson"

Saw that a little later. Both have the same time stamp.

Consider getting the metal strips and routing them in. No skill is needed, other than the proper flat-bottomed router bit and a straight edge to guide the router. The cut, as I recall, is about 3/16" deep by 5/8" wide per strip to get them flush, and then shelf support clips snap in and can be adjusted as desired.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
"Stuart Pearson" wrote:

See if you can find this in the UK.
http://tinyurl.com/yeu78jo
Need a reference, talk to Leon.
Lew

I have been using this jig for 15+ years and have drilled thousands of holes with it. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageX76&filter=shelf%20hole%20jig

Not sure what you call it on your side of the pond but pegboard http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku02995&ucst=t is a cheap template for holes on 1" centers. Art
On 4/4/2010 3:09 PM, Stuart Pearson wrote:

Let me offer yet another alternative - buy a half-dozen of these
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,180&p@089
and have the CNC outfit drill the holes in your jig to ensure precise spacing and straight holes.
I have _both_ setups, and much prefer the CNC for precision - but you can have the precision and the re-usability _and_ save moneyif you have the CNC folks drill six holes for you.
Use a piece of 1/4" drill rod or the shank end of a 1/4" drill in one of the holes for registration.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Hell, two of the desired size will do fine. Just keep registering the hole you've just drilled to maintain accuracy. I bought a set of these LV guides and they work great. Anything else other than some semi-pro home set up is a waste of money.

Morris,
I haven't spent much time hanging out on this board, but I just ran across your suggestion and decided to click on the link and check it out. I had been struggling with the accuracy of my drilling for a while and I am excited to try these out. I bought one of each, and with shipping it was $22.00. Thanks so much for mentioning them as I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.
Brian Martelle, Iowa ExtremelyAverage.com
On 4/5/2010 3:24 AM, ExtremelyAvg wrote:

Brian...
It's always handy to know more "ways to skin a cat"...
AFAICT, they're the same bushings used in some of the doweling jigs and if you want a gee-whiz custom drilling jig, you can screw the bushings into an aluminum base with 1/2"-20 threads
With that kind of setup, you can share the bushings between multiple jigs and not need to buy threaded inserts at all.
I'm such a cheapskate that I went out and bought the 1/2-20 tap. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50311/Hand-Tools/Carpenters-Jigs/Wolfcraft-Dowelling-Jig ;jsessionid=GH3HDBXPY0M22CSTHZOCFFY
Hi
Having read the review and watched the instructional video, I have decided to order one of these. I will let you all know how I get on, but for the price I don't think I can go too far wrong.
Cheers Stuart

Well I have nearly completed the project and I must admin all in all I have been quite happy with the jig. I would say however a better indexing method would help and a bit more adjustment on the fence too, but what do you expect for 40. All in all I am very happy with it, thanks for the recomendation.
Cheers Stuart
If you are planning on doing this infrequently, I have several suggestions:
A. do as J Clarke suggested by making a 4 hole jig
B. If you have not selected your wood yet, check your building centre for particle board / melamine panels that are pre-drilled. In my area the home centres sell 16" wide, by 8' lengths that are pre-drilled for making book cases.
C. If you still want to drill your holes in a custom manner, then I suggest using a protractor or compass to mark repeatable distance marks on the 4 lines for the shelf holes. Determine how far from the front & back you want the row of holes; lightly mark the 2 parallel lines on each side; determine how far down from the top the holes should start - mark this onto all 4 lines; with the protractor / compass scribe the lines - using the intersection as where to reset your protractor - repeat until all rows are done; using a punch mark the holes better; drill each hole as appropriate for your shelf pins.
D. As in C, but do this to a strip of plywood or aluminum or steel to make a jig, then clamp it to your material and drill appropriately
E. read up on system 32 / European kitchen construction - they all show how to drill those holes
F. look up books published by Danny Proulx - http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pages/library.htm He wrote several books on how to make cabinets and shows several methods for marking the holes and making jigs.
The Veritas Jig is really cool, but overkill if you are making only one shelf system. And sending out to have the holes drilled will likely cost enough to take the fun out of your own precision measure, mark and drill process
Hope this helps

I will assume you can mark the location of the holes accurately, and your concern is (as you did note): how to drill the holes accurately.
Use a brad point drill bit, of the right size for your shelf pins or sleeves. This type of drill bit has a sharp point to easily start your hole where you want it to go.
Use a Drill Stop to limit the depth that you go so you do not blow through the side. Also, be careful to hold the drill steady and at a right angle to the board being drilled.
Check this out: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip021011wb.html it is a drill stop and right angle helper.
Practice a few on a scrap bit of wood to make sure you have it right & are comfortable doing it.
Matt
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:09:36 +0100, the infamous "Stuart Pearson"

You can save your $130 if you build one. Here's a freebie: http://www.benchnotes.com/Shelf%20Hole%20Guide/shelf_hole_drilling_jig.htm
Got pegboard? http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/ShelfPinHoles.php
Or buy a cheaper model: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageX76 $25
http://fwd4.me/6wG $13
-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
On 4/4/10 11:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I use one very similar to that and it works perfectly. By the time you set up some of the fancy, expensive ones, you could be done drilling with a simple one.
Spend the money on a good bit & stop system that don't stick or clog.
--

-MIKE-