brushed shellac vs. padding

I have been reading quite a bit on applying shellac. One thing I keep coming back to is the padding method. I understand you pad on a thin coat, then when you've reached the end, go back to where you started and repeat process several times. I haven't worked up the courage to try it, but I have been brushing with #1.5 with okay results. I understand once you lay down a layer don't go back and brush anymore because shellac dries so quickly. My question is why can't I simulate the padding method with a brush? Not the result, just the method. By that I mean brush on the first layer, then when I've finished the surface go back to the beginning and repeat, like padding. I've only read about brushing on 1 layer then wait.
[...]

French polishing.
You can also sit at the dining room table or the table in the ready room and watch TV while you're polishing.
I can do this at the dining table/watching TV because there is less harmful vapors with padding comparaed to brushing? Or what is the reason?

Start to finish capability before halftime.
Ability to jump up and go on a run by throwing the rag on the table and putting the tip on a squeeze bottle.
And then there's the beauty and depth of finish ....
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:32:11 -0800, Andrew wrote:

You want the solvent to go away fast so you can put on another thin coat. I don't yet understand why that's better than putting on a thick coat and waiting longer. The payoff might be that the drying time increases exponentially with thickness of coat.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Of course, but padding also consolidates the finish better than laying a thicker film and hoping consolidation can outrace evaporation.
No sanding between coats, either.
Padding applies less shellac than brushing so the alcohol has a better chance of flashing off. The key word in your description was "thin" coat.

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:32:25 -0800, Bob Bowles wrote:

I've been trying out a yardsale hairdrier to move warm air over the shellacked piece. Helps the "flash" in my chilly workshop. Can't get too close nor too hot, else the alcohol makes blisters.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
4 bw>

Finishing well can hone the edge of patience. If the shop is chilly, how about one of the halogen work lights... cheap, a source of illumination and a chance for a tan! <GD&R> Tom
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:16:35 -0500, Thomas Bunetta wrote:

I tried an incandescent, but that was too hot.
During warm weather, putting on all those coats is fun. (That sounds odd...)
Then there was the time I mistook my tub of oil+rottenstone for my tub of shellac+pumice, and tried to fill the grain. Not only didn't it work, but the shellac rubbed off. Whoops.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
<snippage>>

But Ill bet it was SMOOOOTH! Tom
This probably isn't a good idea. What happens is that you release air and possibly moisture from the pores of the wood and it leaves bubbles... Don't ask me how I know... but this method has ruined more than one finish... A couple before my thick head got it clear to NOT DO THAT ANYMORE. Yes it will work for a quick look as to how the finish will look, but not on the finished piece itself...
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

It's beyond "okay results".
Pad, or pad not. There is no "try".
djb
--
"Modern technology has enabled us to communicate and organize with speed and
efficiency never before possible. People have gotten less competent to