brands of air compressors?

Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking of buying a small air compressor. Has to be portable (in the sense of pick up and carry, not roll around on wheels). Uses will be small tools, maybe some spraying of finishes, and of course pumping up tires.
I'm stumped by the array of brands on the market. Ingersol-Rand, Campbell-Hausfeld, Dewalt, Porter-Cable, etc. They all make stuff that looks pretty much the same with similar specs. I'd rather spend a little more and get a higher quality product. Which are the better brands and which are junk?

The brands you mentioned are all good.
--
Bill

Most of the brands he mentioned are all the same compressor, painted different colors. <G>
Barry
Actually none of the compressors he mentioned are the same compressor painted differently.
Porter-Cable is made by Devilbiss. Ingersoll-Rand is made in an IR factory overseas. DeWalt is made by Emglo in Pennsylvania. Campbell Hausfeld is made in China.
Of the above, I believe the DeWalt to be the best portable. Its an oil lubricated pump design. Many of Porter-Cables are oil-less.
DeWalt (Emglo), Quincy, IR, and Rolair are some of the better units to look for in my opinion.
Rick
in message wrote

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:04:10 -0600, "Rick"
I disagree with you. Ingersoll-Rand is the best among those mentioned here. Look at IR's specifications closely you will see IR never lied like the rest. I have bought many compressors for myself and for the companies I used worked for, spending hours evaluating them. If money is not the problem, I can close my eyes and purchase IR or Atlas Copco with confident, knowing I have made the correct decision. I believed Atlas Copco a Swedish company own Milwaukee tools and possibly made the world best rotary type compressor.
Given the choices below, I will buy either Emglo (I have an Emglo before) or IR (IR being better and more expensive).

If it's for occasional, home-workshop use, does it make that much difference?

Which ones do you have? How quiet are these units?
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

The Italian's made Emglo's compressor (seven years ago) was enclosed in a steel casing with insulating materials and it sound just like my house central aircon.
Right now I have a $200, Taiwan's made 6.5hp, two stages compressor. I do not believe the spec. My best guess it is a 1.5hp, 15 amps 5+CFM compressor, base on "kick-in" and "kick-out" usage (too troublesome to remove the cylinder heads, pistons etc. and calculate.....). I rewired it to 220V after I experienced tripping, when it "kick-in."
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:04:10 -0600, "Rick"

Are you sure? I've seen an awful lot of PC compressors that seem to be Cambell Hausfield units.
Barry
Porter Cable is owned by a corporate holding group named Pentair.
Delta is also owned by Pentair.
And, yes, Devilbiss is also owned by Pentair.
http://www.pentair.com/tools.html
Rick
in message wrote:

Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss are all the same company. Also one more that I can't remember right now.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:55:31 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Porter Cable and Delta are essentially the same company. The management group is the same, they are housed under the same roof, and manufacturing facilities have been combined in many cases.
Devilbiss is its own company. The only affiliation besides producing product for Porter Cable and Delta, is that they are also owned by Pentair.
Hoffman enclosures is probably the other company you referenced.
They also own brand names like Viper, Hickory, Oldham, etc.
You can find the info at www.pentair.com
Rick

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:04:10 -0600, "Rick"

Is this because the oil-lube are quieter and more reliable?

I've looked around locally a bit. I haven't seen any of these in hardware stores. Are they only available mail order?
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

Actually you will have to go to your local industrial supplier to find names like Quincy, IR, and Rolair. Typically the people that supply your local contractors will carry brands like these.
DeWalt (Emglo) can be found almost anywhere tools are sold.
Rick
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:43:46 -0600, "Rick"

I have seen some DeWalt units. I just didn't know until now that that was the same as Emglo. Thanks
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:43:46 -0600, "Rick"

I was looking at a Quincy today, which was the first I'd heard of them. The units I saw had believable specs at slightly discounted industrial prices. They looked like they were spray painted while attached to the shipping pallet, which would probably make the typical BORG shopper think of them as cheesy. <G> Upon external inspection they appeared to be of serious quality, reminding me of IR's industrial gear.
I don't care what it looks like on the pallet, I care about how they compress air.
Does anyone here own a Quincy? What do you think of it?
Thanks, Barry

A better question would probably be whether they are oil-less or not. My experience is that the cast iron cylinder, belt driven compressors last longer and are *much* quieter in operation than the direct drive, oil-less models. The oil-less type are generally sold to consumers with an expectation that they will be used infrequently, while the cast iron, oiled types are generally sold to professionals who expect them to operate everyday, all day.
YMMV, Greg
Greg G. wrote in message wrote:

And ... there are "direct-drive" oil-lubed, to add variety to your world.
John
May I ask your opinion of "direct drive, oil-lubed" as opposed to a belt driven unit?
--
SwampBug

First, check the requirements of the equipment you want to use, then see if there are any that still can be carried. Filling tires and running air guns takes very little, but running some small tools can still take quite a bit. I've never used spraying equipment, but I don't think the smaller compressors are going to be able to do it. I dunno though.
I did a bit of research when I bought my compressor. It got pretty complicated, but I found that spraying paint required a ton of power. Since I don't plan on doing any of that, I got a 5hp, C-H floor model at the Borg and it has done everything I wanted.
Right now I'm considering replacing it with one that doesn't make so much noise and one that doesn't have the drain valve in such a difficult place to get to.
My $.02.