Bloodwood

Has anyone worked with this wood. I dimensioned a 4/4 piece for a project and in spite of some dust control efforts, my shop looks like it rained paprika (or cayenne) over everything. My clothes suggest I was hit by an IED. Not sure what my lungs look like.
The wood is truly beautiful, cuts incredibly nicely, etc. Just was curious of other people's experiences.

Dark woods produce dust that is quite visible. Walnut covers my shop with dark brown. Ipe covers my shop with yellowy green. And yes Bloodwood and Paduk make my shop red. Oddly after working with Ipe and using CMT Formula 2050 to clean my blades or bits the yellowy green dust turns in to a real blood color. I though I was bleeding badly the first time I cleaned up after using Ipe. Wait until you cut into some Ebony.
To control dust I cut and sand with the work between me and the open garage door and with a fan at my back.

*Very* limited experience. It polishes to a glossy finish. Boiled linseed oil works well.
As you said, it's beautiful wood.

ornaments). I really enjoy working with it. It cuts like a dream on the lathe, and polishes up very nicely.
--
Regards,

and i've found it to smell wonderful when worked.
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:30:52 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

warbler wrote:

I've seen a few WoodWright Shoppe episodes where ROy starts off with oak but is working with bloodwood before the show ends...
--

FF

I have made a butler s table out of it and is the finest I have ever worked with, However you need a mask to cover mouth and nose. Very bad on lungs. Clean up after every finished cutting. Not tomorrow but today. This stuff (dust ) will be everywhere. The biggest mess was turning the post. It was 18"X3 1/2" Now this will get you covered. Other than the mess it makes it is gorges wood
bloodwood is one of the worst fine sawdust producers out there. the dust is very hard to filter out. You can smell it through a mask. padouk is pretty bad too. a fair amount of tropical's will make far more fine dust then any American woods. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:25:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Steve, I _hope_ you're wearing either N100 respirator filters or N100 masks, not N95. Otherwise you'll be complaining when emphysema or lung cancer rolls around.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

Assuming that this is the S. American wood (it is something like brosinium xxx), yeah, I had a similar problem. It is like the wood fractures into tiny crystals or splinters. It did not help that I was somewhat alergic to the dust that coated my forearms when I was dimensioning the wood. (despite the dust collector on the planer). It is very nice wood, but, in my experience, a bear to work with hand tools. Scrapers are about all that seem make things better rather than worse.