Bloodwood

Has anyone worked with this wood. I dimensioned a 4/4 piece for a project and in spite of some dust control efforts, my shop looks like it rained paprika (or cayenne) over everything. My clothes suggest I was hit by an IED. Not sure what my lungs look like.

The wood is truly beautiful, cuts incredibly nicely, etc. Just was curious of other people's experiences.

Reply to
warbler

Dark woods produce dust that is quite visible. Walnut covers my shop with dark brown. Ipe covers my shop with yellowy green. And yes Bloodwood and Paduk make my shop red. Oddly after working with Ipe and using CMT Formula

2050 to clean my blades or bits the yellowy green dust turns in to a real blood color. I though I was bleeding badly the first time I cleaned up after using Ipe. Wait until you cut into some Ebony.

To control dust I cut and sand with the work between me and the open garage door and with a fan at my back.

Reply to
Leon

*Very* limited experience. It polishes to a glossy finish. Boiled linseed oil works well.

As you said, it's beautiful wood.

Reply to
darkon

I've done a few small turnings in bloodwood (pens, pencils, Christmas tree ornaments). I really enjoy working with it. It cuts like a dream on the lathe, and polishes up very nicely.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've seen a few WoodWright Shoppe episodes where ROy starts off with oak but is working with bloodwood before the show ends...

Reply to
fredfighter

and i've found it to smell wonderful when worked.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I have made a butler s table out of it and is the finest I have ever worked with, However you need a mask to cover mouth and nose. Very bad on lungs. Clean up after every finished cutting. Not tomorrow but today. This stuff (dust ) will be everywhere. The biggest mess was turning the post. It was 18"X3 1/2" Now this will get you covered. Other than the mess it makes it is gorges wood

Reply to
O D

bloodwood is one of the worst fine sawdust producers out there. the dust is very hard to filter out. You can smell it through a mask. padouk is pretty bad too. a fair amount of tropical's will make far more fine dust then any American woods. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:25:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Steve knight quickly quoth:

Steve, I _hope_ you're wearing either N100 respirator filters or N100 masks, not N95. Otherwise you'll be complaining when emphysema or lung cancer rolls around.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
ljaques

I have a very good dc setup. so I don't have to worry. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

Assuming that this is the S. American wood (it is something like brosinium xxx), yeah, I had a similar problem. It is like the wood fractures into tiny crystals or splinters. It did not help that I was somewhat alergic to the dust that coated my forearms when I was dimensioning the wood. (despite the dust collector on the planer). It is very nice wood, but, in my experience, a bear to work with hand tools. Scrapers are about all that seem make things better rather than worse.

Reply to
areyoukidding

[...]

Yes, it does. Very distinctive, too.