Biscuit in a dado or rabbit?

Page 2 of 2
<dan> wrote in message

Isn't there going to be a problem getting the biscuit joiner flush against the bottom of your dados? Nevertheless, gluing with your dados should be sufficient. A properly glued up joint is stronger than the wood itself. You're wasting your time for something that just isn't necessary.
Upscale wrote:

No. I don't really want to add a biscuit to a dado. I wasn't sure if a biscuit joint alone for my cabinets would be strong enough.

<dan> wrote

Providing your cabinets have an attached back panel, the biggest issue with biscuits "being strong enough" may be concerns about inherent strength of a butt joint/biscuit jointing the shelves to the end panels if the shelves are to carry heavy loads.
A simple method that may alleviate your concerns, and provide a good deal of support, is to use both biscuits to reinforce the butt joint, and "ledger strips", attached to the end panels and under each shelf end, to add additional support to the shelves.
This is a very common practice/method of affixing shelving to utility cabinets quickly and easily, and should provide all the strength you need.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
Swingman wrote:

I do plan on 1/2" or 3/4" back panel. Aside from a permanant center shelf (for strength) I planned to add a few sliding shelves and adjustable shelves.

<dan> wrote in message

My mistake. I wouldn't go with biscuit joints for shelving. Dados are strong, easily fitted and certainly not prone to failure if a cabinet racks a little, whereas biscuit joints would fail.
dan wrote:

Almost certainly yes.
I build a roll-around cabinet for my "benchtop" 16-speed drill press to sit on. The drill press weighs a lot. The cabinet and three drawers are all made of 3/4" MDF using butt joints and biscuits. The cabinet top sits on the sides, which in turn sit on the base.
I made it as an experiment to see how it would hold up, and so far a year later it's as solid as ever.
Chris
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:10:31 -0600, Chris Friesen

And the pictures are where? <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

Ah heck...see "biscuit and butt joint drill press cabinet" on abpw.
Chris
Take a peek at ABWP
B A R R Y wrote:

On 01 Jun 2008 17:20:02 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

Ok.. If I'm understanding you, you aren't really asking about ADDING a biscuit to a dodo, but replacing it with biscuits??
I'm not a "fine" woodworker, especially for things in my shop.. Guys like Ken Vaughn build jigs that are nicer than most of the furniture in my house, and I envy that attention to detail, I think..
For my shop(s) I do butt joints with biscuits and they seem to work and hold up fine.. Most have backs for added rigidity and are wall mounted, so for my use, I don't see a need for fancier joinery.. Most are pretty much plywood boxes with shelves and/or doors, no carcass involved..
The dado center support is probably a good idea, but might be ok with a butt joint and biscuits.. It would seem that a dado would be pretty easy and could be done with either saw or router..
OTOH, I'm pretty much a turner and NOT good at flat work, so YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing