Best Wood for Chair

I just got Nohms new yankee videos for the chair and the love seat and he uses Eucalyptus. I don't think my chairs will be outside in a winter and I don't want to make a crappy first chair out of expensive wood. What wood do you think would be the best for an affordable chair. Obviously I don't want my butt going through it on the first sit in. Thanks in advance
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@robmward.com wrote:

Crap.... It was cyprus
An auspicious start....

Yeah, you can hardly tell them apart.
Cyprus is OK to work with, but last time I went to buy some, it was hard to get. Not overly expensive, just not much around. I ended up using Spanish cedar and like it just as much for outdoor.
If you don't plan to have it in the weather, any wood will do, from pine to ebony. What do you like the looks of? Oak is usually sensibly priced.
Cypress is too soft for chairs. Over time, the jointery doesn't hold up very well. I made several rockers from salvaged maple roof rafters. Came out really well.
Sonny

Well I did three sets of the chairs. One was out of cedar, the other two was just pine. I gave them two away to neighbors who painted them. This was about 4 years ago. Still holding up just fine.
Difficult to build a chair from a country.
Cypress, on the other hand is a fairly available soft wood that would not be suitable for chairs in my opinion.
White oak, maple or red oak is MUCH better suited for chairs.
Mahogany on the high end.
snipped-for-privacy@robmward.com wrote:

Mon, Oct 23, 2006, 6:06pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@robmward.com doth sayeth: <snip> I don't want to make a crappy first chair out of expensive wood.<snip>
You're absolutely right, it's much better to make a crappy second chair out of expensive wood.
So, you get some very non-expensive wood, and make your first chair out of that - it's called a prototype. If it holds up, great, and you're ready to make one out of more expensive wood. If it doesn't hold up, then it's a learning experience, that's why it's a prototype. If that happens, repeat the prototype stage until you get it right.