Best way to hang screwdrivers?

My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

"Proper" is in the eye of the beholder.

How about a piece of 3/4 x 3 x as required, poplar, cross drilled with either a brad point or forstner bit for each screwdriver blade.

Attach to wall with shelf brackets.

Leave space for future expansion.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:KEkmh.6370$yx6.328 @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I'll second that, and raise you this observation. Tool belt screwdriver holders are often just a piece of material that wraps around the shank of the screw driver. Some aren't very big at all, but they do the job well.

Your screw holes don't need to be tight, either. Just small enough so the handle doesn't slide through. (I'd say about 3/8" should be sufficient.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm curious. How secure do they have to be? Is the room moving at such a speed that the screwdrivers just fly out of the holders? What is wrong with the peg board holders? Lou

Reply to
Lou

My dad used a strip of leather, stapled to the wall to make pockets for the screwdriver shafts. Very simple and it worked well.

Reply to
Phisherman

Except occasionally to help remove the lid on a paint can, I can't remember the last time I used a screwdriver.

Reply to
tommyboy

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand tools.

Reply to
Leon

I attached an old woofer to the side of a cabinet. That magnet hold all kinds of screwdrivers and bits and things. (I was going to write: I screwed an old woofer to the side of a cabinet. But in here, who knows how that would have been interpreted.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
root

The moving room seemed to be the case New Year's morning, that's for sure. ;)

The 3/4" metal rings on my pegboard allow the thinnest-handled screwdrivers to slide right through, and the shortest-shafted precariously teeter, as they're not long enough to be supported by the second ring which hangs two inches below.

Thanks for the input here folks. I do appreciate it.

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

I have a couple of pegboard "racks" or attachments kind of like the rings, but they are just a series of "fingers" that the screwdrivers slide into with the handles holding them up. Still might be a bit wide for really thin handled screwdrivers (i.e. detail drivers like for eyeglasses, etc.) but eliminates the "teetering" that you mention. I think each holds about 8 or 10 screwdrivers. I believe that I picked that up at a Builders Square (an old out-of-business BORG) a number of years ago. I assume the same type of thing is sold wherever peg board attachments are sold.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

wrote

Like this?

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/6bffscd&.dnm=356dscd.jpg&.src=ph

Max

Reply to
Max

Take a piece of jummywood or whatever you have, take a Forstner or spade bit or whatever equal to the diameter of the handle of the screwdriver and drill a recess into it for each screwdriver, then cut a slot from the edge in to the center of the recess equal in width to the diameter of the shaft. Fasten that to the pegboard with whatever seems appropriate.

If anybody wants to see a picture let me know.

Reply to
J. Clarke

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/6bffscd&.dnm=356dscd.jpg&.src=ph

Exactly, they do not get dusty and do not take up valuable wall space.

Reply to
Leon

I like to build little platforms with trap doors for them, and then tie the little noose very very tight around their little...

oh..wait, that's not what you meant. Never mind.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Ya got any plans for that? Drawn to scale, properly dimensioned? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Get the plans for the "Hanging Cabinet" from Lee Valley. It includes a screwdriver/chisel rack.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I reckon a bullet holster may do what you need, pilgrim.

Reply to
kellyj00

My tiny screwdrivers go _into_ a pegboard hole, below and between the shafts of the bigger ones hanging from the wire rack. My scribing awl also stabs into one pegboard hole.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

A lot of good suggestions here. Many thanks! :)

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17