Best way to hang screwdrivers?

Page 1 of 2
My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.
-Fleemo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:
> My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd > like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best > to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I > currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely. > > -Fleemo >
"Proper" is in the eye of the beholder.
How about a piece of 3/4 x 3 x as required, poplar, cross drilled with either a brad point or forstner bit for each screwdriver blade.
Attach to wall with shelf brackets.
Leave space for future expansion.
Lew

I'll second that, and raise you this observation. Tool belt screwdriver holders are often just a piece of material that wraps around the shank of the screw driver. Some aren't very big at all, but they do the job well.
Your screw holes don't need to be tight, either. Just small enough so the handle doesn't slide through. (I'd say about 3/8" should be sufficient.)
Puckdropper

On Jan 1, 9:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I'm curious. How secure do they have to be? Is the room moving at such a speed that the screwdrivers just fly out of the holders? What is wrong with the peg board holders? Lou
> I'm curious. How secure do they have to be? Is the room moving at such a speed

The moving room seemed to be the case New Year's morning, that's for sure. ;)
The 3/4" metal rings on my pegboard allow the thinnest-handled screwdrivers to slide right through, and the shortest-shafted precariously teeter, as they're not long enough to be supported by the second ring which hangs two inches below.
Thanks for the input here folks. I do appreciate it.
-Fleemo
On 2 Jan 2007 11:58:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I have a couple of pegboard "racks" or attachments kind of like the rings, but they are just a series of "fingers" that the screwdrivers slide into with the handles holding them up. Still might be a bit wide for really thin handled screwdrivers (i.e. detail drivers like for eyeglasses, etc.) but eliminates the "teetering" that you mention. I think each holds about 8 or 10 screwdrivers. I believe that I picked that up at a Builders Square (an old out-of-business BORG) a number of years ago. I assume the same type of thing is sold wherever peg board attachments are sold.
Dave Hall
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:00:27 -0500, Dave Hall wrote:

Take a piece of jummywood or whatever you have, take a Forstner or spade bit or whatever equal to the diameter of the handle of the screwdriver and drill a recess into it for each screwdriver, then cut a slot from the edge in to the center of the recess equal in width to the diameter of the shaft. Fasten that to the pegboard with whatever seems appropriate.
If anybody wants to see a picture let me know.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Ya got any plans for that? Drawn to scale, properly dimensioned? Greg
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:48:43 -0600, Greg O wrote:

Get the plans for the "Hanging Cabinet" from Lee Valley. It includes a screwdriver/chisel rack.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
I reckon a bullet holster may do what you need, pilgrim.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

My tiny screwdrivers go _into_ a pegboard hole, below and between the shafts of the bigger ones hanging from the wire rack. My scribing awl also stabs into one pegboard hole.
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

A lot of good suggestions here. Many thanks! :)
-Fleemo
I can't help it, every time I've seen this posting the same thing goes thru my mind...
"Best way to hang screwdrivers?"
...a very small noose...?
John E.

On 1 Jan 2007 19:39:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

My dad used a strip of leather, stapled to the wall to make pockets for the screwdriver shafts. Very simple and it worked well.

Except occasionally to help remove the lid on a paint can, I can't remember the last time I used a screwdriver.

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand tools.
Leon wrote:

I attached an old woofer to the side of a cabinet. That magnet hold all kinds of screwdrivers and bits and things. (I was going to write: I screwed an old woofer to the side of a cabinet. But in here, who knows how that would have been interpreted.)
Yeah, if you take a look at what a mechanic does... they've got thousands of screwdriver-like things. Everything is kept in metal drawers. It also helps keeps the dust out.

Like this? http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/6bffscd&.dnm56dscd.jpg&.src=ph
Max

Exactly, they do not get dusty and do not take up valuable wall space.