Best way to cut vertical slots through round posts?

If I did not have a mortiser, I'd build a jig with a flat top, three slots and sides that fit my router equipped with a guide bushing and straight cut spiral bit.
Boy, that's a lot of slots. How bout boring a hole with a 1" drill bit on each end of the slot and using a saws-all to cut between them?..
On 10/9/2009 12:30 PM, Frank K. wrote:

how about start with half-posts - use a dado or table saw or other fast cutting saw to make the slots, then glue the posts together with a waterproof glue. That will be much faster than any other means and will give you nice square edged slots