Best mobile base for Unisaw with cast iron skirt

I've googled this topic, but haven't really found a consensus as to the best solution...

I have a 1951 model Unisaw, and want a mobile base for the saw plus

52" unifence. I'm going to put some constraints on your recommendation, though. I want one that's designed and made to fit the saw, not a 'universal' type. I don't think the universal ones would accomodate the table extension legs, anyway.

I think those constraints mean HTC is my only choice, and I think the HTC base uses some sort of screw-down arrangement, instead of flipping a foot lever to raise & lower the saw. I haven't seen it in person, but that seems like a pain to use. I wish the current Delta model would fit, but apparently it's a little too small for the cast iron base.

So, are there any other options? Anyone have an HTC base with this type saw and have an opinion :-) ?

I'll be using it on a pretty flat smooth concrete floor, if that factors in.

Thanks, Heath

Reply to
Heath Roberts

I am going out on a limb here. I assume you are looking at the typical HTC base for the 52" capacity saws. I have a JET base manufactured by HTC. In regards to the lifting and or foot lever you are referring to that I think that the Delta bases have, the HTC base does not lift at all. Mine has 2 screws above the front and back wheels. These screws are the brakes. That said, I never never never have had the need to use the brakes. The orientation of the 3 wheels deeps the saw from moving during a sawing operation. The wheels are mounted much like those on a kids wagon except the base has 1 wheel under the right extension table that swivels. With some comfortable effort you can move the saw by going to the end of the right extension and pushing there. No reasonable amount of effort will move the saw from where you position the saw and base when standing in a saw operating location. With only 3 wheels, the base and saw are always stable and never rocks. Extremely simple and extremely effective.

Reply to
Leon

Heath, I did not use my mobile base for my Unisaw. I cut it up and made a base for my Jet 16" Bandsaw. I used the remaining pieces to construct one more base for a sanding, grinding stand. Very easy for anyone with a welder and metal cutting chopsaw or Skilsaw with a metal cutting blade. If you know someone with a welder, it is an easy job. I will post pictures of mine later.

Dave

TeamCasa

HTC will "make" you any size base.... They more than likely have the base you need. I would also be surprised that the Delta does not fit. The Unisaw footprint has not changed much if any in many moons. Have you actually checked the size ???

What is your saw model number ???

Heath Roberts wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I've been using a ShopFox mobile base under my (more recent model) Unisaw and like it. There're photos at the bottom of

Morris Dovey

Double check the Delta if you haven't already.

I love the mobile base on my Unisaw. It flips up real easy.

I have an HTC base on my Jet 18" bandsaw and it sucks.

It is on only three weeks so it wobbles and locks poorly. Major suckage!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Based on my experiences with mobile bases, Delta and HTC, I'd be inclined to get the current issue Delta base and modify it to fit your saw. The tubing can be cut and internally sleeved with hardwood or pieces of tubing welded in. The HTC cabinet saw base gets bad reviews (see Amazon for some). I don't care for the HTC base I have for my bandsaw as it wobbles when "locked down" and is very unstable while moving the saw. The Delta bases I have for my Jet Cabinet Saw and Delta DJ-20 jointer are far superior to the HTC base. The tools sit on the wheels all the time with the HTC bases and the wheels have brakes. The Delta base cams down to rubber feed and there is no movement when the tool is in use. On the Delta the lever to raise the tool is very easy to use--hand pressure will lift the tool easily--while the HTC requires you to unlock each wheel's brake.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

A 3 wheel set up works much better on a long wheel base. And I hope on you BS you have the 2 wheels under the table.

Reply to
Leon

This is the original stand modified (twice) to fit my bandsaw.

is a copy I made based on the Delta and using the Delta lifting wheel. ($16 from Delta)

TeamCasa