Best jointing glue.

Page 2 of 2
Fri, Aug 10, 2007, 12:07am snipped-for-privacy@nmwoodworks.com (BillinDetroit) doth sayeth: It's for his servants ... the 'domestics'.
Wonderful, drunk servants.
J T wrote:

What can I say? He's got a dumb waiter.
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
Try TiteBond III, it's waterproof. Most other plain generic yellow glues won't be--at least not after significant wetting and moisture. Since you are going to use it as a bar top (i.e. spilled drinks, water rings from glasses, etc), having the glue joint dissolve or weaken due to moisture exposure would be bad.
Just my opinion....

Oak and maple are 'sweet' woods; if any water gets in, they will support molds, and black marks are likely. For a bar, resinous woods are usually preferred (mahogany, or teak, or ipe). That said, an oak glue-up with water-intolerant glues will be fine as long as the finish coat is impermeable. I've never thought satin urethane was ugly.
Of course, if the finish coat IS impermeable, you could top the bar with a sheet of plywood and get good appearance and adequate durability.
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 05:48:47 -0400, PVR wrote:

resistant (humidity resistant) substrate.