Bench progress II

Construction is complete. For the base, used dominoes for alignment augmen ted by lag bolts. Used Forstner bit for the dog holes. Much faster than i presumed. Need to sand to 150 and mount the vises. Will finish with 3 or 4 coats of Watco clear, unless y'all convince to go with BLO or something e lse.
One surprise (and I am blushing as I write this): the reclaimed cherry I th ought I was working with turns out to be walnut. I've gotta get a handle on identifying wood species.
Larry
"Gramp's shop" wrote:
Construction is complete. For the base, used dominoes for alignment augmented by lag bolts. Used Forstner bit for the dog holes. Much faster than i presumed. Need to sand to 150 and mount the vises. Will finish with 3 or 4 coats of Watco clear, unless y'all convince to go with BLO or something else.
One surprise (and I am blushing as I write this): the reclaimed cherry I thought I was working with turns out to be walnut. I've gotta get a handle on identifying wood species. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If it truly is walnut, then orange shellac as I remember.
Try a test piece.
Lew
On 7/13/2013 12:34 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I avoid poly for benches. It's hard to repair, slippery too. One of my benches (solid core door) is finished in shellac.. It's ok, but melts when I use alcohol (often).
I used tried and true on my maple bench that I made.. not slippery, easily repairable, minimal (protection) but that's what you need, it's a workbench.
I also bought a junior bench, that I use for sharpening. I used BLO... too slippery...
Hope this helps.
--
Jeff

On 7/13/2013 10:34 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I hate to be ignorant, but, "tried and true" ... what?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pE105&cat=1,190,42942

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 21:23:31 -0700 (PDT), "Gramp's shop"

Pictures Gramps, picture. If we don't see pictures of the completed project, then it doesn't exist. :)