Belt Sander Recommendation

I'm looking to buy a belt sander and am considering either the Porter-Cable 362VS or the Milwaukee 5936. Both are 4x24 inch, one variable speed and the other fixed. I have both Porter-Cable and Milwaukee tools and am pleased with both companies.
Any advice on which to purchase?
Thanks, John
"John Raymond" wrote:

SFWIW, I'd stay away from 4" machines.
In the case of P/C, they use the same motor for either the 3" or 4" machine.
IMHO, the P/C is strictly a toy.
Burned up a couple of them before buying the P/C "Choo-Choo" which they no longer make.
Lew

I have been building solid surface countertop since DuPont had 4 colours only. (1986) Been through them all except the Choo Choo.. Milwaukees are heavy. PC's die. Bosch fare a bit better, but the best punch for the buck is the 3 x 24 Makita. We can't seem to break them. Replace the graphite skid pad and the thing keeps going and going. The dust collection is mediocre.... on any of them.
Robatoy wrote:

I'll second that, I've got a Makita that is well into its second decade and it just keeps running and running.
basilisk
--
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com

Robatoy wrote:

SFWIW:
Have a Choo-Choo I no longer need.
If interested, contact off list.
Lew

me too.
shelly

Ditto. I'm not a pro, but I use it my 3x21 Makita to sand my front porch every 3 years. It's 20 years old.

I did have to replace the platen. So I upgraded to the non-metal kind. Can't find the link to the product.

I have a Ryobi that keeps going after 20 years. But, not sure if the same quality of Ryobi is there today. I like the fact the top is flat and it can be used upsidedown for sanding small parts. The variable speed is very nice too. I use finishing sanders more than a belt sander, maybe that is why it has lasted so long.
I had the same model. I used it commercially for about 8 years. It got to where I couldn't keep the belt tracking. I went to replace it with the exact model because of the flat top, upside down capability. I didn't find it , so I purchased this Bosch as a replacement: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid 74DVS
I was always quite pleased with the Ryobi, same for the Bosch. I also have and use a heavy old Milwaukee for serious work.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

That reminds me - One of the things I like about my Makita is the sides are flat and parallel, so I can clamp it in a wooden bench vise and use it upside down.
I've used it to sand the edge of large parts, and do rough stock removal.
I never tried it without fastening it to the bench.

If you're really convinced that you need a 4" sander the Bosch http://tinyurl.com/yjr95d6 can't be beat...........IMHO. I don't use it often but when I do it's a workhorse.
Max