Belt sander behavior

I bought a new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line model.

When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt

*slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.

I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the same thing.

So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"

The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.

Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.

Reply to
Richard Evans

They do advertise a "soft start" feature ... but not something I would want to put up with in that particular tool either.

Reply to
Swingman

No good fer racing then?

Reply to
Micky

Like Swingman asked, perhaps a soft start feature or maybe an Electronic Speed Control. I have several tools that act in a similar manner when the Electronic Speed Control is changed.

Reply to
Leon

It has a variable speed feature, but this trigger lag is evident at all speeds.

Reply to
Richard Evans

Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.

Reply to
Robatoy

=2E..just an aside, Swing... what *is * that sound that Lynyrd Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone's hook is played in? Keyboard? Sounds a bit like string, almost bell-like... hard to tell.

Reply to
Robatoy

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

24 grit?! When I put even a 36g on the widebelt I (literally) get tear-out! 24 must be downright nasty.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Disclaimer: This is on end-grain butcher-block slabs.

WRT the soft-start on your belt sander....I don't have it on any of mine, and I'm sure I wouldn't want it.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's not an intentional feechur.

Reply to
Richard Evans

That would be a challenge.

Reply to
Robatoy

tear-out! 24 must be downright nasty.

Think fiberglass and CDX you want to laminate with fiberglass.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Richard Evans" wrote

Here is one Craftsman model that does advertise/mention "soft start":

Swingman

expensive...naaa, I'll stick to my Makeeter... or maybe the baby PC.

Reply to
Robatoy

same. It looks like mine, except mine is red.

Mine is #26819. See it here:

mention of soft start

Reply to
Richard Evans

If the trigger controls the variable speed that might normal if the sander also has ESC, Electronic speed control. Typically these type tools monitor the speed of the tool to the location of the trigger and "cruise control" so to speak. Your are sorta flying by wire.

Reply to
Leon

OK, I took it back and spoke to the manager. It does indeed have the soft start feature, though he admitted it should've been mentioned in the packaging. Apparently, it's common, at least in Craftsman tools. The manager said he has it on a router and really likes it, though I still can't imagine the benefit of it.

I decided to keep it because at $170 it was far and away the cheapest

4" sander I could find.
Reply to
Richard Evans

Soft start is great in routers and other high torque equipment (1/2 inch drill maybe) as it keeps the tool from "jumping" when you pull the trigger, but I don't see a need for it in a belt sander. Probably put there as an enticement to try to snag more sales, but in the process they've created confusion for new users.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

According to the liner notes, it's Roosevelt Cook playing a Mellotron. It's about the earliest keyboard instrument that could use sampled sounds. So early that the samples were on tape. A lot of rock bands from the Beatles to the Moody Blues used them back in the day.

Originally they were built in England but there is a Canadian company building them and supplying parts now. They also have CDs with the original Mellotron sounds.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.