Belt sander behavior

Page 1 of 2
I bought a new Craftsman belt sander yesterday, top of the line model.
When I pulled the trigger, the motor hummed briefly then the belt *slowly* came up to speed. While running, if I let off on the trigger it wouldn't restart until it had coasted to a complete stop.
I've had several belt sanders and I expect instant response to the trigger. I took it back and swapped it for another one. It does the same thing.
So, did I get two faulty units or is this some new "feechur?"
The Sears clerk didn't comment when I described the symptoms.
Feature or flaw, it's going back, and this time for a refund. I just don't see this behavior being useful in this tool.
"Richard Evans" wrote in message

They do advertise a "soft start" feature ... but not something I would want to put up with in that particular tool either.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Tuesday's Gone's hook is played in? Keyboard? Sounds a bit like string, almost bell-like... hard to tell.
On Wed, 14 May 2008 16:05:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

According to the liner notes, it's Roosevelt Cook playing a Mellotron. It's about the earliest keyboard instrument that could use sampled sounds. So early that the samples were on tape. A lot of rock bands from the Beatles to the Moody Blues used them back in the day.
Originally they were built in England but there is a Canadian company building them and supplying parts now. They also have CDs with the original Mellotron sounds.
Mike O.

Ahhhhh yes..... I just couldn't place it. (No liner notes.) Thanks for clearing that up for me.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Speaking of samples...have you heard Kid Rock's All Summer Long? I heard it on the radio the other day and didn't know who did it but saw him on Letterman the other night. He samples Werewolves Of London, Sweet Home Alabama and Fly Like An Eagle in this song. Bob magically turned three pretty good tunes into one mediocre song.
Mike O.

No good fer racing then?

Nope. 36 grit on a Milwaukee...and I'll whoop anybody's ass.
"Robatoy" wrote:

You sure you want to take on my Choo-Choo /w/ 24 grit belts?
Lew

24 grit?! When I put even a 36g on the widebelt I (literally) get tear-out! 24 must be downright nasty.
JP

Disclaimer: This is on end-grain butcher-block slabs.
WRT the soft-start on your belt sander....I don't have it on any of mine, and I'm sure I wouldn't want it.
JP

It's not mentioned on the box or in the manual, so I'm guessing it's not an intentional feechur.
"Richard Evans" wrote

Here is one Craftsman model that does advertise/mention "soft start":
http://shop2.aol.ca/shop/product--catId_1002839__locale_en__productId_2673634.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

expensive...naaa, I'll stick to my Makeeter... or maybe the baby PC.

I don't see a model number on this one, so don't know if it's the same. It looks like mine, except mine is red.
Mine is #26819. See it here:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926819000P?vName=Tools
No mention of soft start

OK, I took it back and spoke to the manager. It does indeed have the soft start feature, though he admitted it should've been mentioned in the packaging. Apparently, it's common, at least in Craftsman tools. The manager said he has it on a router and really likes it, though I still can't imagine the benefit of it.
I decided to keep it because at $170 it was far and away the cheapest 4" sander I could find.

Soft start is great in routers and other high torque equipment (1/2 inch drill maybe) as it keeps the tool from "jumping" when you pull the trigger, but I don't see a need for it in a belt sander. Probably put there as an enticement to try to snag more sales, but in the process they've created confusion for new users.
Charley
"Jay Pique" wrote:

Think fiberglass and CDX you want to laminate with fiberglass.
Lew

That would be a challenge.

Like Swingman asked, perhaps a soft start feature or maybe an Electronic Speed Control. I have several tools that act in a similar manner when the Electronic Speed Control is changed.