beginner's painting project...

Hi,
I'm planning to paint my first woodworking project (a particleboard cabinet) but I don't know what to use. Some people says that there's special painting for wood. On the store, the vendor said that I can use the same anticorrosion paint used for metal finishing... What do you recommend for an absolute beginner? I'd like to get a highly polished coloured finish. Since I'll paint a particleboard I'd like to obtain simulated lines on the wood by combining two tones of paint. I saw that somewhere in the net but I forget where. Can somebode to point me to the site where this technique is described?
Thanks in advance Faustino
Faustino Dina wrote:

See:
http://www.zinsser.com/FauxDetails.asp?ProjectID )
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Thanks for the link, it looks very well...

I know nova has helped but just for the record. Particle board is particle board, nothing but paint will ever help it's looks. There is nothing special about painting it. Go out and get a gallon of primer and a gallon of whatever you want on top. If it goes in your shop, go relatively cheap and by Wal*mart, lowes brand etc. outdoor stuff. if it is supposed to be an indoor-look-at-it-the-rest-of-your-life project spend a bit more for dutchboy etc.
--
Young Carpenter