Beginner Relief Carving Book?

I have both a birthday and a shoulder operation approaching.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a book for the beginning relief carver?
Thanks!

Barry, Im sorry to hear you have a shoulder operation coming up..... I have a book on woodcarving called Wood Carving Basics by David Sabol , its from Taunton's press. It has all tyes of wood carving including relief carving. I think a preety good book. The problem with carving is all the chisels you will need to get , if u dont have them already. Hope all works out well for you..
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
Hey, have you looked at Chris Pye's books? http://chrispye-woodcarving.com / If I could afford to buy a bunch of them, I would. The Jeep addiction is keeping me broke though.
K.
I have both a birthday and a shoulder operation approaching.
Does anyone have a suggestion of a book for the beginning relief carver?
Thanks!

If you're interested in relatively large-scale things (think architectural details or furniture decorations) rather than miniature bits, you might want to look up Charles Marshall Sayers "The Book of Wood Carving." It's definitely written for beginners, and breaks things out in a way that's not intimidating. Lee Valley carries (or at least at one point carried) it, along with a set of a half dozen or so recommended tools.
I'm not sure how easy you'd find carving with a recuperating shoulder, though. Maybe it could be considered a part of therapy if a PT is watching or something.
--
Andrew Erickson

B A R R Y skreiv:

It's hard to find a better book on relief carving than this one from Chirs Pye:
http://chrispye-woodcarving.com/writing/w_bk4.html (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Thanks for all the suggestions!
The recovery shouldn't be too bad, as the surgery will be with a scope. The Dr. is just cleaning up some collateral damage in my left shoulder. I broke it in a mountain bike crash a few years ago. I'm getting it into good shape before hand to try to speed recovery. I'm looking forward to some good reading while I get back up to speed.
I chose carving, as I want to learn how, and although I won't be able to wrestle large boards and sheets around, the Dr. wants me to move it as much as possible.
Kate, I understand the Jeep thing. I had to have a front prop shaft made in March. This weekend, I'll be replacing a broken sway bar connector. <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

A couple more suggestions:
Susan Irish's books on relief carving: <http://www.carvingpatterns.com/#SHOPPING%20CENTER
Ivan Whillock's relief carving books and videos: <http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/contributorinfo.cfm?ContribID 3>
Mr. Whilock's web site: <http://www.whillock.com/about.html
Best wishes... Neil
Kate, I understand the Jeep thing. I had to have a front prop shaft made in March. This weekend, I'll be replacing a broken sway bar connector. <G>
--
AH HAH! Someone who understands!
I'll bet that YOUR habit is a whole lot more expensive to support than mine.

If you mean the airplane...
We had a spark plug go bad Sunday. It wasn't really noticeable in flight, but showed up during a "mag check", during the pre-takeoff engine run up. During the mag check, each of the two plugs per cylinder is used singularly, as we run on one magneto at a time vs. the usual two. The plane shook like a wet dog when running on the magneto that fed the bad plug.
This was with two first-time flyers aboard, at the far end of the trip. Everybody got to sit around the airport for 2 hours while the problem was repaired. I don't think they said a word all the way back!
A single, high-quality spark plug was over $60, not including installation, which required cowl disassembly. 8^(
<http://www.skygeek.com/rem38s.html
Part of the annual maintenance is rotating the spark plugs to get them even usage in different engine positions.
That's why I bicycle to work and build my own furniture. <G>
If you mean the airplane...
--- yup, I meant the airplane
That's why I bicycle to work and build my own furniture. <G>
--- pretty smart.. for a fella ;
To the OP: You might want to look into some of Nora Halls carving videos. They are the closest thing to having an instructor at your side.
Tom - 4 Robatoy - 0

Thanks for the suggestion!
I think Rob scores much higher than that. <G>