Basic bandsaw questions

I can't seem to find the answer to this query.

It seems that bandsaws are measured by either (a) the size of the table, (b) the throat, or (c) both. What is the correct answer?

Also, I was looking at a Ridgid bandsaw at the Borg the other day. I'm a big fan of Delta & Porter Cable, but never used a Ridgid product before. Are they any good, that is, for a part-time weekend-woodworking-warrior? I think it was $379 for the 14"

Also, also, the throat seemed to be no more than about 8". If the answer to the original query was either B or C, that would mean the top of the saw would move up and down. Is that true?

Feel free to let me know if I'm making no sense.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob

Bandsaws are measured by the diameter of the wheels the blade rides on. The distance from the table to the blade guides, with the guides fully raised would be the "capacity under the guides"

Nova

Hello I have a 12" Sears band saw. It measures 12" from the blade to the throat. I have a 6" clearance under blade housing & the table , which may vary depending on the manufacturer. So the answer is from the blade to the throat. Home Depot just started bringing in a lot of Ridgid tools here in Canada. Prior to that , the only Ridgid tools I've used was for threading conduit. If you can go by looks , they certainly look very solid & well made. Good luck. ron

Reply to
Ronald Murray

Well, sonuvagun... I just went and measured the wheel of my 10" bandsaw what has 9 3/4" of throat, and it's 10" diameter!

Guess I may not actually know everything.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hello Jack I have to disagree with that statement somewhat. This holds true for two wheel band saws. With a three wheel band saw the wheels could be any size. The three wheel band saw will give you a much deeper throat to blade measurement. ron

Reply to
Ronald Murray

Bandsaws are measured by the size of their wheels. A 14" bandsaw, for example, has 14" wheel and a very-nearly 14" throat depth. (Actual throat depth is typically slightly less than the wheel diameter because there's some structural material on the left side of the saw that's inside of the wheel's diameter.

As to Ridgid products: their stuff has gotten generally positive review both here in the wreck and in the mags. But you need to consider whether HD will be able to supply service or replacement parts if you should ever need them somewhere down the road.

I posted a comment a couple m>I can't seem to find the answer to this query.

John Carlson

I own a 10" Inca bandsaw and while the wheels do measure out to 10.5" it is the distance from the blade to the inside of the throat that makes it a 10" bandsaw. Ross

Reply to
raj656

For that money, you owe it to yourself to look at the grizzly z-series. Great saw for the money. It has many of the features of the very expensive saws. The delivered pride is $433. It is a lot of saw for the money.

-- Paul

If at first you do succeed, try and hide your astonishment.

Reply to
Paul

Interesting...my local orange is almost giving away its supply of Ridgid shop vacs...now I know why...have you checked Sears (I've never checked but I couldn't see much difference in the Craftsman vac I had for several years and the Ridgid vac I've owned for only a few).

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Yes, actually Sears does carry a filter that fits. So I'm not really SOL, but it's no thanks to HD.

John Carlson

Have you tried the Ridgid website for parts?

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

No, I didn't think of that. Tried HD's with no luck but not Ridgid's. I found one at Sears that fits and I stocked up with enough to last me for a while, but I'll give Ridgid's site a try as an alternate source.

John Carlson