Baseball bats

Page 3 of 3
J. Clarke wrote: ...

Recall, however, that KE ~ V^2 so a 20% in energy translates into over 40% higher velocity. That much difference would make a _big_ difference in reaction time for evasion/self-defense...

higher velocity. That

I think that you need to check your math.
Dan Coby wrote:

higher velocity. That

Yeah, brain cramp there, for sure...shoulda' known no chance nobody woulda' noticed before I got back to note the gaff... :(
dpb wrote:

Uh, try that calculation again. You did it backwards.
--John

The bat-mods described below are worth a lot more money, the list of clients is almost endless.
using a forrestner bit, drilling as much as a 1" hole down the centerline of the bat starting from the grip end. then go as far as 1/3 the length of the bat boring out material. Then fill the hole with a cork rod turned to be a press fit held in by epoxy. finish the entrance of the bore to perfectly match the surrounding wood, detail bat with Louisville Slugger identification and trademarks, and go watch your favorite team doing batting practice to look for a prospective client to demo your new and better bat.......

And then add hand cuffs to the bat so that the batter cannot accidentally let go of the bat and let it fly in an unintended direction. Life is full of surprises, you make life boring by trying to fix everything.
The increased use of Maple bats is seen as the root cause of the significant increase in broken bats.
This is due in no small part to a new pest beetle [emerald ash borer] killing Ash trees (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php ? storyId222323 "Maple, Ash Baseball Bats May Strike Out"). Talk of the Nation Science Friday.
"The problem is that when maple bats break, they shatter dangerously, sending shards of wood flying."
While we might well come up with a solution, it turns out that Major League Baseball includes a rule requiring a "solid wood" bat.
The maker of Louisville Slugger bats talks about the history of the Maple bat (from Late 90's/Barry Bonds) as well as their efforts to think of a solution to the splitting problems. performance issues (Maple stays harder/smoother longer than Ash).
From what I heard these experts saying, it is unlikely that we are going to come up with a solution they haven't thought of and studied.
If you have an opportunity, listen to teh show and learn a little about the differences between the two species and the reasons the "fixes" that work won't pass current MLBB muster - they want thicker handles.
Enjoy