Baseball bats

Page 2 of 3
krw wrote:

Uh huh. Ten percent makes the difference between reacting and not reacting? If the margin is that close then they need to increase the distance to the plate.

Traffic laws have zip all to do with bat design.

No, they have to do with the laws in several states that prohibit the use of aluminum bats.
--John
says...

Apparently. Changing the distance to the pitchers mound changes the entire game.

Whoosh!
Ok, you now owe us a citation that shows "several states" that have banned aluminum bats from MLB (or any other) games.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Yep, but if it only saves one life . . .

Huh? I really don't know what point you think you were making. Are you suggesing that the rules concerning the performance of bats have been rescinded? If so you might want to inform the NCAA as they seem to be unaware of doing so.

So far the only one that has passed was NYC, but several states have legislation in progress.
--John
says...

So does keeping the wood bat. Aluminum changes the whole game. It's a much faster bat so imparts more energy to the ball.

Never mind. ...not worth 'splainin'.

Cite.
--
Keith

krw wrote: ...

Give it a rest--google for it if you really don't know and want to...
OTOMH, I know at least ND has legislation pending, several states have various measures in place for high schools being required (mostly by their state HS athletic associations as opposed to actual legislation.
I'm not sure the actual status in NYC -- Bloomberg was going to veto it, but the initial passage was by a large enough margin to override. Where it stands in the process, though, I've not followed.

You made the assertion, support it.

We were talking about MLB. I can understand schools banning such things. Some communities ban all baseball bats at certain times of the day, but that has nothing to do with the speed of the bat.

I'm surprised. Bloomberg is an idiot.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Actually, no I didn't; I just have heard enough of it owing to being involved enough to know what has been going on to know you're just itching for an argument (altho the other poster hasn't been particularly politic, either)...

The conversation, as near as I can tell, was general, not restricted to MLB.

On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats.
On the subject of aluminum bats. I am sure that if there was money to be made, one of the manufactures of the bats could design and make a bat that would duplicate the characteristics of wood bats. ******************
It would be too hard to veneer the aluminum bats. <G>

There is a measurement in the making of golf heads (COR) that could be applied to Al and wood bats. The choice of an Al alloy, wall thickness, etc. that would match the measured COR of wood bats would be possible. I would also guess that different wood bats would have different COR's?
In article <ce11b678-56bb-447d-96f1-

It's a weight issue. It's tough ot make AL dense enough. Stainless would work I suppose. ;-)
-- Keith

Aluminum is already denser than any wood.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

I guess that's true. They could make aluminum bats heavier, but don't (need to).
--
Keith

I'm not arguing, but is that true?
What I've found so far is that the density of Al is 0.098lb/in^3 (approx 1.56 oz/in^3 and that white ash is 41 lbs/ft^3, which should work out to about 0.379 oz/in^3, unless my math is completely f'd. I got some of the info from here; http://woodsgood.ca/woodDensity.htm and some from here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_density_of_aluminum
I am fully prepared to acknowledge I may have really messed up on the math but....
Doug Brown wrote:

Does Ash float?
Aluminum doesn't...

Duh! OK, but my ash doesn't float :).

Doug Brown wrote:

Well then, you might be in the ball park!
----------------------------------------------------------------------- o \o/ _ o _| \ / |_ o_ \o/ o /|\ | /\ _\o \o | o/ O/_ /\ | /|\ / \ / \ |\ /) | ( \ /o\ / ) | (\ / | / \ / \ -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most woods float. Does aluminum? <g>

Well, 1.56 is greater than 0.379, so I'd have to say aluminum is much denser than ash, by a factor of about four.

You made the math more complicated than it needed to be, but your results are correct: aluminum is much denser than ash.
Simpler version: Aluminum 0.098 lb/in^3 * 1728 in^3/ft^3 = 169 lb/ft^3 Ash 41 lb/ft^3
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

Well, lignum vitae (ironwood) doesn't float. Neither does knobthorn or some of the rosewoods (Dalbergia sp.). There are a lot of woods that are so dense they don't float. Wikipedia says the density of lignum vitae is between 1.28 and 1.37 grams per cubic centimeter. Aluminum (from wikipedia) has a density of 2.70 gr/cc. Titanium = 4.5 gr/cc. Iron = 7.87 gr/cc. Lead = 11.34 gr/cc. Gold = 19.3 gr/cc Uranium = 19.1 gr/cc Balsa = 100-200 kg/cubic meter (you do the math).
--
sm@ug dot ichorfang
at gmail dot com

I actually had one that's not too far off. It's a rather heavy bat, though, but it clunks instead of pings. I don't remember seeing it recently, so it might have gone away...
Obligitory woodworking content: I made a bat rack and hung my bats on it. (A dowel rod thick enough to allow two bats to rest on one peg usually provides enough space between the bats.)
Puckdropper