bandsaw tires shifting

Hello all, Am trying to get an older Sears bandsaw back in operation. The wheels were quite out of plane; have now set them to be nicely parallel. When rotate the wheels by hand, everything seems to be OK. When power it on, the blade seems to stay pretty well centered on the wheels, but the tire on the top wheel quickly walks toward the back of the wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

--------------------------------- You need a mastic type adhesive to hold the tire in place.

Contact an industrial rubber distributor in the area.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Did you balance the new tires? See this for good instructions:

Lobby Dosser

Lew, Thanks, hadn't realized that gluing 'em on was a usual thing. With a little research, I see that it is. Thanks again, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

Not yet, but will follow the instructions in that link - looks good. Thanks, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

I'm sure gluing the old tire would keep it from moving, but I think you would be better off replacing the old rubber tires with urethane. My 12" Craftsman bandsaw had rubber tires that hardened and dried out every 5-6 years, causing the blade to slip on even moderate cuts. The urethane has not had that problem, and fits tightly enough to the wheel that glue is not needed. I think mine were less than $30 pair from Ebay. Read the descriptions carefully, some vendors charge that much for each tire.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Larry, Thanks, if the old tire, after gluing, still isn't satisfactory, I'll look for a pair of new ones. Thanks again, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery