Bandsaw metrics

Page 1 of 2
The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.
I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got to love those far-thinking Chinese.
--
 GW Ross

 If you keep an open mind, people will
On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:

then put it around the motor sheave. Link belts while a little noisier are way nicer vibration wise.
--
Jeff

On 2/8/2014 8:44 PM, G. Ross wrote:

A six point 1 1/8" might work (common), a 1 1/16" is closer but harder to find. A 1" might be worth a try. Some of the impacts run a little large.
I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have jumps from 15 to 17...
I've spent a lot of time lately in pawn shops looking through bins of sockets, depressing...
Jeff

On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their replacement installation.
I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.
Synchronized obsolescence.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/9/2014 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote:

I hate Moen, and a few others. Delta seems to be pretty good for parts.

I had to get parts for my Dad's (now gone) Kohler bathroom faucet. 70 + years old, and they had them...

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.
Jeff

On 2/9/2014 9:36 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Delta has a few tiers of quality, so you need to be aware of what you're buying, most particularly when purchasing from the Home Depot, Lowes, et al.
It it's cheap, you are buying "cheap", not inexpensive. There's a big difference.

One of the good things about using Kohler, as a builder, is that I can leave the documentation with the homeowner in a "House Book", and specifically let them know that Kohler generally keeps parts for years for discontinued fixtures, which they will ship to you free of charge.
Kohler customer service is still relatively responsive compared to other.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated, which indeed causes its own set of problems.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/9/2014 11:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

Like trying to buy a replacement mop head a year later.

Didn't know that, but it makes sense. I tend not to trust anything from HD. Unfortunately it is the closest and I can bring stuff home hanging out my car window and not worry...

The one I bought for the rental's kitchen came with a lifetime guarantee. I thought, pretty good for $75. Maybe it means less than I thought. I always ask what to stay away from and the sales people always have definite opinions on that! One should never knowingly buy trouble.

Nice.

I see that we are in the age of touchless faucets. Last trip out I saw several selling for big markdowns.
On the other hand my bathroom faucet, circa 1929, is still going. Nothing complicated in that! And metal outlasts plastic.
Jeff

On 2/9/2014 11:26 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

And washers are cheap. ;)
Then again, kitchens and bathroom are what sell houses, and women are the tail that wags that dog.
Couldn't tell by me, but some kitchen and bath faucets/fixtures are apparently sexier than others ... mostly directly proportional to the price, and inversely proportional to longevity.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

How many kitchens and baths last 85 years, anymore? *LONG* before that, they're gutted and replaced with the new toys.

My house is 35 years old. Just finished one bathroom and planning the next. Already have the floor tile. Anyone want a blue toilet?

Put it on CraigsList. You'll probably find someone with a harvest gold one to trade. ;-)
In our first house, all of the bathroom fixtures were yellow (including a very nice porcelain cast iron tub). *NOTHING* goes with yellow. We also had a harvest gold stove and avocado 'fridge but they were easily replaced. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in wrote:

I almost offered to trade a dark pink toilet, but realized that blue (they're usually a powder blue, aren't they?) would probably clash with the dark pink counter top.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/10/2014 1:54 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

My dad's house (which he built) has aqua fixtures (tub, sink, toilet), all Kohler, in the upstairs bath. Kohler had great style, even 60 years ago. With that said, a blue toilet usually goes with nothing.
Jeff

Our Vermont house had a cobalt blue Kohler toilet; impossible to find parts for. The house was built in '87, so the commode was no antique.

<snip>

shitrock? Plaster has a feel, texture and density that can't be replicated. And nobody has mold problems with it as it has no cellulose.
Jeff

But it (probably) has wood lath and wood rots. For that matter, never seen mold on a block wall? I have,many times, no cellulose there either.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

So you like horse-hair plaster, too? A friend ripped a bunch of it out of his house (built between 1800 and 1803).
On 2/9/2014 12:26 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Big difference in locks too. See schlage at HD or Lowes, then goto a locksmith. in the big box the bolt is basically white metal, at a locksmith they will be solid brass usually

--
Jeff

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door :)
--

dadiOH
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 16:44:52 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

I remember some relatives back in the 1940s who were very proud of their new indoor plumbing. The hand pump was in the kitchen :-).
--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014