Auger bits

Hey all: I recently came into possession of some long auger bits, (like a lamp makers bit). I've got a brace but I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find some sort of doo-dad that would let me chuck one into a regular power drill chuck. I hate to just cut off the square tapered end. And yes I know I will have to go at a very slow speed because of the design of the bit. Any hints welcome: Dean

All you fellas out there... I would like to know as well... is there a such thing as an adapter* to fit classic old auger bits to a regular drill chuck?
Alex

Get a socket from a 1/4' socket set and fit it to the auger bit base. Buy a short extension and whack the fat part off. Chuck up the modified extension.
If the small width of the taper is like my Irwin's, you'll be good to go.
Sockets vary in length, so take the auger to the store to match it up.
Turn it real slow.
Regards, Tom.
Awesome! Thanks! Text saved. Alex
Tom Watson wrote:
[snip]

larger. I picked up one at the local Orange borg for a buck.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Tom Watson wrote:
<snip>

Words of wisdom - worth emphasizing:
Turn it *real slow*.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

And, if you are turning it _that_ slow, you may as well chuck it up in a brace.
scott

As far as that, what about the difference between the kind with the shaft in the middle and the kind that is like a spiral staircase? Wouldn't the shaft type be much stronger?
Alex
AArDvarK wrote:

Alex...
It isn't so much about strength as it is about ability to withstand heat. The cutting spurs are fairly vulnerable when the bit is turned very much faster than a human can manage with a brace.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Aah yes..."heat"...of course. Makes much more sense. Thank you!
(I am still "fetus-of-neanderthal"... not set set up to start learning yet, whilst I collect the tools.)
Alex
Thank you Tom, I actually solved the problem with a lag bolt, don't ask. But your trick will work well next time I need it, (another perfect solution to a problem that didn't exist). I apologize for the delay in responding, money reared it's ugly head and I had to chase it. Dean.