attaching a table top

What is the best way to attach a table top to its base. I'm finishing up the base of a standard sized "country" kitchen table. I was initially planning on using the drill press to drill holes from the underside of the rails, then screw the top on that way, countersinking the screws and inch or more. I see that my current purchased kitchen table uses a similar method, only using pocket screws. My concern is that this method does not seem to effectively allow for expansion and contraction of the top. What is the standard approach? Thanks

Reply to
Doug

Try either tabletop fasteners (metal) from Rockler or equivalent or just use wooden buttons (as in antique furniture). A picture of buttons at this link:

Alan Bierbaum

Wooden L-shaped buttons inside the rails, screwed to the table top. The rails carry grooves and the buttons engage with them.

You can make your own buttons pretty easily, but make them from cross-grain stock from the end of a wide board, so that the grain runs into the tongue of the button.

I use two shallow passes (double thickness) with a biscuit jointer to make the grooves in the rails.

If you get the geometry right, the buttons can be turned without removing them, so that the top can be removed for shipping.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Drill a screw hole in the center of the thick section. The hole can be elongated to allow for wood movement.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
jack

There are several methods. You can widen the holes into slots. Another way is to use clips or "buttons." Expansion-contraction varies depending on conditions and the type-grain of the wood.

Reply to
Phisherman