attaching a table top

What is the best way to attach a table top to its base. I'm finishing up the base of a standard sized "country" kitchen table. I was initially planning on using the drill press to drill holes from the underside of the rails, then screw the top on that way, countersinking the screws and inch or more. I see that my current purchased kitchen table uses a similar method, only using pocket screws. My concern is that this method does not seem to effectively allow for expansion and contraction of the top. What is the standard approach? Thanks
Try either tabletop fasteners (metal) from Rockler or equivalent or just use wooden buttons (as in antique furniture). A picture of buttons at this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/P6220005.JPG
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
On 2 Oct 2004 17:55:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com (Doug) wrote:

Wooden L-shaped buttons inside the rails, screwed to the table top. The rails carry grooves and the buttons engage with them.
You can make your own buttons pretty easily, but make them from cross-grain stock from the end of a wide board, so that the grain runs into the tongue of the button.
I use two shallow passes (double thickness) with a biscuit jointer to make the grooves in the rails.
If you get the geometry right, the buttons can be turned without removing them, so that the top can be removed for shipping.
--
Smert' spamionam

(Doug) wrote:

Drill a screw hole in the center of the thick section. The hole can be elongated to allow for wood movement.
I insert a steel pin(16d nail) in the center top of the long rail, 1/8 to 1/4 inch is good, on each side.I use the button method in the picture on another post to attach the top but I dont butt it up against the rail, I leave about 1/4 inch. Sanding the bottom of the button or the bottom of the tab will tighten the top onto the rails. I round the nose of the tab on the disk sander so it will pivot into the slot on the rail. Then tighten the screw. Jack snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com (Doug) wrote in message

On 2 Oct 2004 17:55:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hvc.rr.com (Doug) wrote:

There are several methods. You can widen the holes into slots. Another way is to use clips or "buttons." Expansion-contraction varies depending on conditions and the type-grain of the wood.