Asking Advice on Finishing Cedar Benches

Folks,
Just got my second woodworking order for six twin-seater cedar benches. I built a prototype last Spring, finished it with three coats of spar varnish, and put it on my south-facing deck to see how the finish held up over a Wisconsin Summer. In the main it held up fairly well, save for two or three spots the finish clouded and the wood grayed a bit.
So...I was wondering if I might get a better, longer lasting finish if I sealed with no-wax shellac then the three coats of spar varnish.
Thanks, Bc pathwalkatcenturyteldotnet
_______________________________________________________________________________ Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
Bob Carter wrote:

Totally encapsulate the bare wood with 2-3 coats of laminating epoxy (low viscosity), followed by 2-3 coats of varnish that contains a UV inhibitor.
Sand out drips, etc, after each coat of epoxy.
Allow epoxy to cure at least a week before varnish.
Lew

Is the UV inhibitor the only reason to varnish over the epoxy?
djb
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Basically, YES.
Epoxy is great stuff, but has lousy UV resistance.
The real secret is TOTAL encapsulation.
Forget to do it, sooner or later the water will find a way into the wood and screw your best intensions outta sight.
Lew

I don't think the shellac is going to make any difference.
I'd just use Penofin oil and no varnish. It has UV inhibitors.
Yup... Penofin is it baby.