Asking Advice on Finishing Cedar Benches

Folks,

Just got my second woodworking order for six twin-seater cedar benches. I built a prototype last Spring, finished it with three coats of spar varnish, and put it on my south-facing deck to see how the finish held up over a Wisconsin Summer. In the main it held up fairly well, save for two or three spots the finish clouded and the wood grayed a bit.

So...I was wondering if I might get a better, longer lasting finish if I sealed with no-wax shellac then the three coats of spar varnish.

Thanks, Bc pathwalkatcenturyteldotnet

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Bob Carter

Totally encapsulate the bare wood with 2-3 coats of laminating epoxy (low viscosity), followed by 2-3 coats of varnish that contains a UV inhibitor.

Sand out drips, etc, after each coat of epoxy.

Allow epoxy to cure at least a week before varnish.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Is the UV inhibitor the only reason to varnish over the epoxy?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't think the shellac is going to make any difference.

I'd just use Penofin oil and no varnish. It has UV inhibitors.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Basically, YES.

Epoxy is great stuff, but has lousy UV resistance.

The real secret is TOTAL encapsulation.

Forget to do it, sooner or later the water will find a way into the wood and screw your best intensions outta sight.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yup... Penofin is it baby.