Appliance Garage-Kitchen Cabinet Installation

A word of thanks up front.

I have installed cabinets a couple of time for easy kitchen remodels but I have come across a challenging (for me at least) installation dilemma.

A typical installation requires one to install the wall cabinets, base cabinets and then countertop. The challenge, and sure a lesson, is that I have a cabinet (appliance garage) that is suppose to rest on top of the countertop.

Base Cabinet - 34.5" Countertop - 1.5" (ideal, we are going to tile) Appliance Garage - 18" Wall Cabinet - 36"

Is there any trick to the trade for installing an appliance garage and getting the correct measurements so there is not a gap either between the appliance garage and the wall cabinet? This assumes that the appliance garage "rests" on the countertop (obviously secured to the wall).

One option, not a favorable one, is to install the base cabinets, the countertop and then the wall cabinets. This way you ensure no gap exists and you can ensure all wall cabinets are of equal height.

Are there any other options available to me?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you !

Reply to
richar51

[...]

How big is the tile? Tom

Reply to
tom

build the appliance garage with a lip to scribe into place.

Reply to
bridger

I cheat. I measure my way through and make sure I have an extra 1/16" between the top of the countertop ( I make up a dry dummy if it involves tile) and the bottom of the upper cabinet. After the installation of the top, I slide the garage into place and and slip a couple of cedar/composite shims under the countertop, lifting it for a snug fit. Then I attach the garage to either upper cabinet or wall.

Recently there have been a few installations where I did the countertops, where the corner/upper cabinet was taller than the upper cabinets beside it. In that case, life is easy..just lift the corner unit and drop it on top of the garage.

PS.. I never bother with backsplash inside a garage either, I terminate the backsplash at the sides of the appliance garage.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not really much of a trick but more of a pain. Depending on how the appliance garage is built there are a few choices. We always leave the garage loose for the hard surface guys. If they know the measurement for the hard surface we will set the cabinets up accordingly but still not install the garage. This will work most of the time but not always. Some (if not all) manufactured appliance garages are made in a way that they can be cut down a minimal amount (usually at the bottom) if necessary. If your garage is made in such a way, measure for what would be a tight fit with the tile and worst case you can trim the garage. We don't see too many tile tops here anymore but did have one tile guy tell us to install the garage and he would tile around it. That made us pretty happy but if I was installing the tile I don't think that would be my preference.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Thanks for the reply. The tile is 12" x 12", 3/8" thick.

Much appreciated !

-shawn

Reply to
richar51

Thank you for all your responses!! I guess when it is all said and done, one of the solutions noted will make the most sense. If I get the gap (between counter and wall cabinet) too small, I may need to trim the appliance cabinet. If I get the gap too big, I guess will have to shim (maybe even add some trim work).

Again, thank you!!

Reply to
richar51