Anyone know of a wood called 'Alan Alan'??

Hi, I've recently moved to Brunei in NW Borneo. I'm investigating the wood available here, and my local saw mill only has one type, that they call 'alan alan'.
I can't find any mention of this in my books or by searching online. Has anyone ever heard of it?
I have a piece drying out (lumber yard is uncovered) and will plane it down this week to investigate.
Thanks,
J.
Known as "Alan", it's really Shorea albida which is a Red Meranti. At the moment the logging is unsustainable and needs intervention to save the forests. It comes mainly from the Peat Swamp Forests or "Alan Forests" near the North coast of Brunei.
--

Greg

"Caution - quoting history's great people may stir feelings of inadequacy in

Thanks very much Greg. I can now look it up and see what to use if for. I'm going to take a trip up the coast later this week to another saw mill that I'm told has other woods for sale. It sounds as though meranti is more a construction wood than for furniture etc. Have to plane it down when it's dried and play with it.
Cheers,
Justin.
totally facietous answer:
It started out as 'elder alder', but some rabid M*A*S*H fan mis-heard the the slightly-potted Britisher that was saying it. And in the re-telling, he shifted from last name to first name.