Anyone Here Use One Of These? Nail Extractor

Page 2 of 2
Wed, May 23, 2007, 2:56pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com (norman) doth sayeth: I've been using one of these for years. http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id#023&name=nail+puller&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0 Pricier than your example, but very efficient. It's got a sort of hammer action and a "beak" so it'll grip nails just at or below the surface. Ideal for pallets or reclaimed timber etc.
Yep, a modern version of the antique model I already mentioned. I don't find it so expecially "idal" for pallets tho. I tend to break about every pallet nail with it.
(norman) doth

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id#023&name=nail+puller&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0
Hi JT,
You've probably heard of this method but I will share it anyway in case onyone else hasn't tried it.
I've given up on trying to pull pallet nails.
If there is a piece of wood on a pallet that I particularly covet, I just center punch the heads of the nails and drill them. The head pops off like a washer and I pry the board up off the nails.
The remaining stretchers on the pallet with all of the now headless nails get cut up and help to heat my shop. A magnet through the ashes retrieves the nails which go into the metal recycling bucket.
I am remembering a pallet that came into the shop one day from our plant in the Philippines, with a bunch of pumps for testing. I asked the boss if I could have the pallet and he said sure.
It was all Mahogany...
For stubborn nails I use an old pair of long (about 18") end nippers to pry it out. I don't squeeze enough to break or cut the nail. I also have an antique nail puller like yours and a cool little tool that my daughter bought me years ago called a tweaker. There never seems to be enough tools in my shop for this sort of thing. I guess I'll have to go find this new nail puller and get a look at it...
--
Lloyd Baker