Anvil (found)

Page 2 of 2
On 5/18/2011 4:16 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
k-nuttle wrote the following:

... or the TV series called, "My Mother the Car" I never saw it, but I heard it featured the voice of one of my favorite actresses, Anne Sothern.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On May 18, 4:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

Still is;-)
Add pictures here
✖

is dated now. Do a search on roadrunner cartoon. Anvils are featured prominently in these cartoons.
Add pictures here
✖
basilisk wrote:

basilisk, thank you for providing an anvil link--I bookmarked it.
The two 100# anvils, one marked "JB" and one marked "Brooks" went for $190 and $175 (that's about double what I wanted to spend based upon my current actual anvil needs).
I did pick up a Stanley Bailey #7 (jointer plane)for $40, and a "double lifetime-supply" of Stanley plane irons and some other parts for $35. I intend that the blades should be ir'n enough to help me practice sharpening and to use in wooden planes I may build some day. Given that the auctions lasts 3-4 hours, one feels the need to buy something to recoup some of the value of the time invested!
The 2nd half of this action is next week (and I suspect they'll have a couple more anvils like brethren of the ones they had today...). And more boxes and boxes of Stanley "5 1/4" planes..all remnants of the (long?) defunct Indianapolis high school woodworking program. There were no large power tools/machinery. My understanding is that the school district was just "cleaning house".
Bill
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.beautifuliron.com/gs_anvils.htm
Add pictures here
✖
CW wrote:

Thanks CW, Interesting site. I read most and will revisit.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:56:12 -0400, Bill wrote:

I didn't, I believe that was Casper.
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖

Here's some anvil info from my other half who studies blacksmithing...
"... http://anvils.co.uk/products/list/12 these guys own Brooks name anvils, a decent anvil more common in UK (since they are made there) but a few are in the hands of blacksmiths here as well. seem to be a good anvil from the reviews I have read..."
At least that might give you a cost comparison.
`Casper
Add pictures here
✖
This thread brings back memories of an old skit I saw on the Carol Burnett show long ago... It was a take-off on "Death of a Salesman." Mickey Rooney played the long suffering Willie Loman, and complained of how his job as a door-to-door saleman was wearing him down, and how his cases seemed heavier year after year. The biggest laugh of the skit came when Rooney said, "I guess the world just doesn't need anvils anymore."
Add pictures here
✖