Anutha 220/230/240V - NEMA 6-20P question

So when I lop off the 15A 115V plug - I suppose I'll see three wires. Black, n' white, n' green. When I attach the NEMA 6-20P plug, he said redundantly, does the black need to go to one particular blade, or can I choose thanks to the magic of Alternating Current.
I ask 'cuz thanks to the magic of the internet, I learned a few years ago that there was a right way to wire zip cord in a lamp with a polarized plug...
Gracias Amigos!
patrick conroy said:

It doesn't matter. As long as the green goes to the ground pin.

It does matter. ;-)
FWIW,
Greg G.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:40:04 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

Thanks!
Yep! :) Problem is now I can never remember whether the ridged side of the zip cord goes to the wide plug or vice versa...
patrick conroy said:

Usually, the ridged side of the cord is the neutral side (wide blade), but I always verify this with an ohm meter, just to be sure - some old Chinese wiresets fly in the face of convention...
Greg G.

Remember you "identify" the neutral. That is the silver screw, the wide blade on the plug and the ridged conductor on the zip cord. The wire will almost always be white except when it is 277v derived from 480v (used in big building lights) That is grey. Since we are global these days you may also see line cords from Europe that have blue and brown. Blue is neutral over there.
Try this color combination . . . . Black wire = copper colored screw (narrower blade) White wire = silver colored screw (wider blade) Green wire = Green screw (rounded blade)

Any 6-20P I have used has all terminals the same color, and the blades are the same width. Are you quite sure about this??!
Greetings all,
Perhaps this confusion arose with the change from the 5-15 (15 amp)/5-20 (20 amp) [125 VAC] to the 6-15 (15 amp)/6-20 (20 amp) [250 VAC] rated plugs. They ARE different (hmmm ... THAT'S why they have different numbers).
Pictures often tell us more, so here's a quick picture to help you sort things out (diagram credit McMaster-Carr online catalog ... http:/www.mcmaster.com) :
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/110/gfx/small/d1bga19s.gif
The 5-15 and 5-20 plugs conform to the wiring described below, the 6-15 and 6-20 don't, because we're not bringing a neutral line into the plug.
HTH
Rick

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:53:20 -0400, "Wayne Cattanach"

Hmmmm - on the NEMA 6-20P's I scanned, the blades are all the same width, only their orientation varies and the screws are all the same color.
But thanks...

Authoritative answer: "Yes." *grin*
The black wire must go to _one_ of the 'hot' blades -- *which*one* =isa matter of 'your choice'.
then the white wire goes to the "other" 'hot' blade.
And the green goes to the 'safety ground', obviously.

Ayup. That there is. because you're dealing with one 'hot', and one 'neutral', vs. two 'hot' leads.
'hot' leads are, in general, interchangable -- from a safety standpoint, that is -- although, in poly-phase circuitry, said interchanging of hot leads may have an effect on the direction of rotation of any motors involved.
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:17:07 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Thank you!

Wow - if you read that last paragraph, slowly, in a dark room, it sounds kind'a erot^H^H^H^H like something inappropriate for rec.dorking.all-ages :)