Aluminum Cutting guide

The latest Penn State catalog has a nice aluminum cutting guide on page 63. Two pieces at 51" that can be connected together to create a 102" fence. Seems great for routers, jigsaws, circular saws, etc. Comes with two 51" aluminum cutting guides & two "C" clamps for $21.95.
Catalog is marked as Winter 2004-05 051.
Big John
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.
Available from Lowe's for $18.98. I have one and its so-so. I found that building a sawboard was much more accurate because it exactly matches where the saw blade will cut. The aluminum guide has no idea where the saw blade is. I also built a board for my router along the same principal.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Maybe it was the vise principal - sorry, couldn't resist :-).
The problem with the aluminum guide I have is that it flexes where the two pieces join. Not a lot, just enough to be a PITA. I drilled a small hole through at the join, just large enough to take a finishing nail. Solved the problem. If the miniscule nail hole is unacceptable, use two sided tape.
But you're right - a sawboard is better. I made one that's set for my circular saw on one edge, my sabre saw on the other. But it's only 4' so I use the aluminum for 8' cuts.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

You guys got me thinking because I also have an aluminum one in two pieces. Why don' I just put it together and screw it down to an 8' plywood piece and make my own saw board?
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

The only reason I didn't do that was lack of space to store it. The two aluminum extrusions take up very little space in my very small shop :-).

Lee Valley sells a nice one. So does ProGrip. They have attachments for your router or circular saw to travel along the guide.