Almost neander'd away

Page 2 of 3
(Conan the Librarian)

I've found that it's simple enough to avoid that. You just have to be willing to hike a bit. And I tend to fish rivers (streams, really), where I can wade to get to the best spots (or get away from Bubba).
I'm not a fishing snob, but I just find that this style of fishing is more in line with my general world-view. If you think about it, flyfishing is more like neander wooddorking, while the bass boat bubbas are more akin to Nahm. (Boy, that oughta get a reaction. :-)

I don't have any real physical infirmities, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. And neandering helps keep the old bones from creaking too badly. (As well as maintaining my girlish figure.)

Nope, that one went right over my head.

And another closet FST-head comes out.
Chuck Vance
On 23 Apr 2004 05:05:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I hear THAT. I don't fish and want to take my camera and tripod into the woods up here. I just need to find and stay away from the large plots of illegal shrubs (and their armed owners) so I come -back- from the day trips. I'll take "A Reverence for Wood" with me so I can identify all the trees out there. <--obww

You say that as if you care. ;)

I have to fit my physicality into a window. Too little work and I feel ancient. Too much work and what's left of me feels ancient. When I'm feeling good, I overdo. When feeling bad, I underdo. Creaky bones suck, and I'm just 51. But I've been feeling better after following the Candida Diet. Losing 17 lbs didn't hurt, either. Now to drop about 20 more...my knees will thank me at 183.

So solly.

Nah, I've always and openly been a Firesign buff. Ever listen to the album "A Child's Garden of Grass"?
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Zipping is very quick. Unzipping seems to take forevvvvver."
OBWW (more for Chuck): Are the best flyrods still made of tonkin cane?
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

Great minds think alike, Doc.
"Hey, look up dere!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@myoffice.math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) wrote in message writes:

Listen to it? I *lived* it! ;-)

Depends on what you mean by "best". :-) If you like a slow-action rod for delivering dry flies, then a tonkin bamboo is probably about as good as you can get. (For the price, they'd better be; they cost upwards of $1K.) But graphite rods are the industry standard these days. They can be made with just about any action desired, from almost as slow as fiberglass to very whippy.
Personally, I hope to one day make a bamboo rod. But it's fairly far down on SWMBO's list of wooddorking projects. :-)
Chuck Vance
On 26 Apr 2004 04:55:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Ah, so you're the reason Myron Florin sold more than one album.

I picked one up for a buck at a garage sale when I moved up here but never have gotten around to buying that fishing license. One neighbor said that there was too many pollutants upstream which tainted the fish, but I haven't checked the actual water analyses.
It's a 3-pc metal-ferruled job about 15' long imported directly from Japan. It is about 3/4" diameter tapering to a 1/" tip with a single eyelet. Very flexible and fairly lightweight. Bamboo is neat wood.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- || http://www.diversify.com when an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming
(Conan The Librarian)

Actually, IIRC, the only way you could listen to polka music was if they were all playing at once. (BTW, down here in Texas, Myron makes regular appearances for various festivals like Wurstfest and Oktoberfest ... or at least he did until recently. Dunno if he's still alive ... or if he smokes dope.)

What's the river you're thinking of fishing? I can probably get a firsthand report from the Usenet flyfishing group.
Also, if you just fish catch and release, you don't have to worry about pollutants, unless you tend to fall into the water a lot. :-)

Bamboo is very cool. From the sound of it, you've got a rod used for "dapping" (i.e., taking bait or a fly, reaching to where you want to fish and dropping it down to the fish without casting). Bamboo rods for flyfishing are usually in the 7-8' range and would have a series of "snake guides" for casting a flyline.
Anyhow, at $1 it's a bargain. In a worst-case scenario, you can always cut it into pieces and use it as stakes in your vegetable garden. :-)
Chuck Vance
On 26 Apr 2004 16:59:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

The Rogue River runs about 300 yards south of me, about 50' below my property. I should be fairly safe from floods, which I hear happen quite often here. An old coupl just bought a piece of property 2 lots down on the river and put up an 8,000 sq/ft home about 8' above the water line. The next time the river rises, they'll be history. Unfortunately, 4 of the friendly neighbors all are one lot away from the river. I have no access locally except at the park 1/4 mile down.

That water is only about 40F and I don't have a license, so...

Since it's a 3-pc, I could use the two end pieces.

Hey, I'm about ready to plant, too...
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
(Conan The Librarian)

Whoa, the Rogue is very well-known as a steelhead river. What town are you near?

Poor boy. You have to go all of 1/4 mile to get to the freaking Rogue River. I really feel sorry for you.

So get some waders and a license, son. I can't believe you'd be that close to fishing paradise and complain about a little cold water.

You could try that, but if it's a flyrod, it will be made for a specific line weight that you'll need to match it with. Plus, it will have a reel-seat and some ceramic "stripping guides" in the butt section and snake guides further up towards the tip. I'm guessing yours is really just "pole" for dangling bait in the water.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Should be just the thing for t'maters.
Chuck Vance
On 27 Apr 2004 07:07:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I love steelhead, too. I'm in the county, officially Grants Pass, but halfway between there and the city of Rogue River. BTW, you ought to see the salmon up here. The overlook at one of the parks is directly on the river and you can see 30+ of them within a 30' circle swimming upstream in 6" deep water. Y'know, wade in, reach down, and take in dinner. ;)

Roger on ACK of the neener.

Yeah, I've thought about it since trying steelhead.

Right. And who needs a $2,500 rod and reel to catch dinner? </fisherman's sacrilege>

I'm allergic to the Nightshade family. No more taters, maters, chiles (EGAD!), and eggplant. I'll be growing cantaloupe, acorn squash, broccoli, lemon and sweet basil, green beans, carrots, radishes, okra, and whatever else I can fit into a 10x10' plot.
I had to top a red maple and will be carving it up with a chain saw some day. (It hasn't made clear what it wants to be yet. I'll probably leave the saw cord plugged in and carve while I trickle water into the garden. I'm going with drip irrigation this year since it worked so well in LoCal in my last lifetime.
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
(Conan The Librarian)

So you've been down there with your net in hand? ;-)

Roger on the request for confirmation of a neener. Will confirm once I hear that you have actually gotten into the water and dragged a steelhead or salmon from there. :-)

Well get out there, man. Hell, here in Texas we stock trout just so we can get a sense of what it's like, and you're right there in a spot like that!

Blasphemy! And on a tool-collect^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwoodworking group, no less!!
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) The next thing you know, you'll be saying that we don't need all of those fancy planes to surface wood.
On 28 Apr 2004 14:43:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

No tickee, no washee. (fines are added to the license fees) Not that I haven't been tempted...

Brrrrrrr!
I was going to get a steelhead for my sister's visit and the damned store was out of them so I settled for a 2.5 lb trout. It was good, but the steelhead is so much more buttery and tasty that I may not buy another trout.

<ww,nn,kwim?>
I hope you never hear me utter those blasphemous words.
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
(Conan The Librarian)

Also, depending on what stage of the spawning process the fish are in, they are not at their best on the plate.

I'm not talking about going to the grocery store. Heck, we can buy the things in the store and they're probably only a couple of days older than what you can get. I'm talking about going out and catching the things yourself. (Damned city boys.)

Hope should have nothing to do with it, Lar.
Chuck Vance
On 29 Apr 2004 05:52:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I suppose I lived in polluted LoCal too long. I wouldn't eat a locally caught fish since none of the streams were safe. I haven't been fishing in well over 20 years. Besides, costs to gear up would be the equivalent of 40 dinners worth of fish. That was a WAG, but checking online, HOLY SH*T, BATMAN! Make that 200 meals! http://www.a1flyfishing.com/products-simms.html#Waders

True. I never see myself uttering those words.
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
Larry Jaques responds:

Yeah, but who goes fishing to eat? Take a sandwich if you do.
Fishing is a contest of smarts between the fish and the fisherperson. From what I see, most of the time the fish wins, which may say a whole lot about human intelligence, but probably doesn't. After all, a couple of my best friends are fly fishermen.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle
Charlie Self wrote:

Thank you, Charlie for summing it up nicely.

We all have our crosses to bear. :-)
As for human intelligence vs. fish: We pay hundreds of dollars for gear, drive or fly hundreds or thousands of miles, all so we can hip-deep in a cold stream waving around a graphite stick with a bunch of feathers and fur strapped to a hook, hoping to catch something that we're just gonna put back anyway.
At least the fish has the excuse that he doesn't have any choice in the matter.
Chuck Vance
Larry Jaques wrote:

Next thing you know you'll be telling me that you woodwork to save money on furniture.
As for those waders, you don't need to spend that much to get really good waders. Simms is pretty much the top-of-the-line, but they offer some fine ones for about $150. (BTW, if you do buy waders, get breathable ones. Just trust me.) http://www.flymartflyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=simms-freestone-waders&Category_Code=waders

Cool. Now if we can just teach you that fishing isn't about saving money at the grocery store. :-)
Chuck Vance
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:33:53 -0500, Conan the Librarian

<vbg>
With steelhead at $5/lb, that's a lotta 1/2 lb. meals, bubba.

I have more fun shooting than fishing so I got a nice camera. With fishing, you end up having to buy a boat, etc.
I'll email some pics of the river to you, along with Savage Rapids Dam, teeny thing that it is. I haven't driven up to the real dam upstream yet, or to Crater Lake, but spring is the time and I might be doing that on Mother's Day while everyone else is with family. (Mine is still in the Republik of Kalifornia.)
Check your email.
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
brought forth from the murky depths:

>http://www.flymartflyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=simms-freestone-waders&Category_Code=waders

FWIW, I rarely keep a fish I catch. So I don't know if I'd ever "make my money back". But that's not the point.
Ooops, for a second I forgot who I'm talking to here. <squeak> <squeak> :-)> > Cool. Now if we can just teach you that fishing isn't about saving

Those aren't mutually exclusive, Lar. In fact, since I've gotten back into flyfishing I'm considering buying myself a decent digicam. I've got a good old Nikon F that's been my weapon of choice for 25 years, but I need something a bit more portable than that.

I don't own a boat, and I don't have any plans to buy one, but I can get to all sorts of good fishing just by walking and wading a bit. And I live in Texas, where public river access is really limited.

Thanks for the pics. That's a very pretty area. Is there much public access to the river?
Chuck Vance
On 30 Apr 2004 05:02:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

OK, that's better.

I picked up the Nikon Coolpix 995 a couple years ago and adore it. (See, I can get both crowbars out at once for special occasions.)

I heard that Tejas had one river. An int'l border at that.

There are half a dozen parks in the city, a dozen more in the county, all with boat launch ramps. There are a few more public access areas but I haven't really given it a detailed look. If the water were warmer, I certainly would have. I'm acclimating, so maybe in a few years I'll be ready for that chilly dip. I think it gets up to 53F in the heat of summer. I haven't really looked into access in other cities, but the park I love best (good curve for the jet boats in the annual races) is in th ecounty with over half a mile of access from a truck-accessible rocky
I helped a neighbor cut down some madrone stumps and brought home the wood. It's now painted and will dry for eons before I can even think of carving it. (my finger is healing nicely) <--obww
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development