Airless Sprayer

Page 2 of 2
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ditto. Little did they know it, but someone actually did me a favor and stole my XLS in '82 ... just didn't realize it at the time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

electronic craziness going on. They still make one of the nicest V-10's in the business as demonstrated in the Lamborghinis that use them. Very powerful and dead- nuts reliable. Unfortunately, they stopped being fun when they went from their twin turbo V-6 to that 4.2 litre V-8 in the S4 versions of their 'regular' cars. A guy can work on that V-6, but that new stuff requires way too much money and learning curve to a do-it-yourselfer. That would leave me at the mercy of one of two dealers, one that has a good mechanic but charges waaaay too much or the other guy who has a decent knowledge but never give you all the power the engines are capable of. You don't spend that kind of money for 'close enough'. Angela and I are looking for something new and Audi is not on that list.
Here I am limited to the dealers that can look after my stuff. The guys at Hyundai, Subaru, Volvo, GMC/Pontiac/Buick and the Toyota dealer are justabout it. Ford, about 1/2 hour from here is supposedly pretty good. The Honda, Mazda, Chevy-Caddillac dealers in this burg suck canal water.

LOL
"Robatoy" wrote:

20 years ago the 5000 was a disaster that it took Ed Bradley & 60 minutes investigating to reveal.
Audi hasn't been the same since.

Given a choice, I'd rather wear a hair shirt than work on a car/truck.
OTOH, boats are different<grin>.

What Pick-em-up trucks are you considering?<grin>

I'm lucky to have found a couple of independants that put up with my Tonka Toy.
Lew

We want something for highway cruising with a bit of a payload. I wish I could buy a brand new 1986 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon.
"Robatoy" wrote:

Payload as in: 5th wheel, Winnebago, Airstream?
Lew

No. There's a 1984 BluBird Wanderlodge I can borrow for that. We can rent a LOT of hotel rooms and vacation homes for the price of an Airstream.
"Robatoy" wrote:

A friend just bought a Subaru, of in all places, Crawford, TX, to tow behind their motorhome.

Tell me about it
Sounds like it's SUV time in your world.
Lew

I only like the Cayenne S 'cuz that is cute! . . as if...
"Robatoy" wrote:

Me, I'm a rear wheel drive and metal timing chain kind of guy.
Just a couple of the reasons I like my Tonka Toy.
Lew

Timing belt/chain=Audi weakness. In a BIG way. Ask any TT owner. I am definitely a rear-wheeler myself. For business or for just running around, I like my GMC Safaris. I have 2, one for nice, one for not-so-nice. I could not imagine hauling a garbage trailer full of used countertops and/or kitchen cabinets with anything front-wheel drive. One of the guys that works for me drives an Acura sedan....and hauls a camping trailer with it. We'll see how long that will last.
I have no experience with the Borg grade units. I have Graco and consider them top of the line, thought there are other makers. Make sure you get a spare handle filter and spend the money on a few sizes of Reverse- a-tips. For the house, get an extension wand to reduce the ladder climbing. More hose saves moving everything, but does require more cleaning. Mask, protect, shield before rather than cry, scrape, and scrub after.
As you already noted, they are capable of injecting paint or thinner into you.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Tom Watson wrote:

I use one about 6-8 times a year and I rent it from HD. Their units cost in the range of 1600.00 Work great and no thinning of 5 gallon pals. Rent for 80.00 a day. Last job painted 3 bedrooms, long hallway, walk in closet and 2 normal closets 2 bathrooms and ceilings for all in 5 hours. Just need to run water through the hoses and gun to clean. Its the only way to paint. Not sure how well they work on small projects like furniture. I use a HVLP gun for those. You can paint a average house in a day as long as you setup right. I always work away from the sun.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

don't know about the borg gracos,but Sherwin William's has the REAL Gracos not much more $$ than el-cheapos.Most SW stores have service available too spray tech makes a good entry level airless too best to stay away from TITAN,nothing but problems with there little machines
by all means get extra hose and a gun swivel,quick change tips too
.015 tip works best with latex/acrylic (515)
I have sprayed airless for over 30 years ,Graco is the best, but you have to spend some real money to get there GOOD machines.
see if you can get a machine with a metal gun with internal filter Always strain your paint before running it through the pump,ladies panty hose works great pore paint through panty hose into another pot then put pump into the stained paint and spray
Edward

Tom,
50' of hose is almost a must. I have painted about 6 homes per year for the last 20 years and have never had a swivel.
I did buy a 4' tip extension wand for $75.00 It is well worth it. Keeps you off the ladder, you don't have to bend over as much, nor stretch as much, plus you are further from the spray tip so you get less paint on yourself.
Happy Easter,
cm

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
I picked up the Magnum X7, the extra hose and a couple of extra tips this morning.
Regards,