Air Compressor recommendations

I am looking got buy a compressor probably in the range of 4 gal to 15 gal.

This will be used for the usual homeowner tasks such as filling bicycle tires, air mattresses and an occasional nailer.

I do not intend to use it for sanding, painting and such activities.

I would like a vertical unit on wheels, preferably powered by an induction motor. I made the mistake of buying a Coleman 11 gallon at Pep Boys, that runs on a universal motor that screams like a shop vac.

I promptly took it back, even though I liked everything else about it. Yeah I know it is an oiless, but for my infrequent use that is ok.

So are there any recommndations for a compressor not too big (4 to 15 gal) that is powered by an induction motor that is vertical and on wheels. Also sources or where to buy. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Vijay

Why do you feel you need that much stored air for filling tires? Because you want to charge up the compressor and then take the tank [okay the compressor and tank] outside where there's no electrical outlet? Or just because that's how much space you have in the shop? Max pressure and CFM may be more important for your uses than the size of the tank.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

For that purpose, 2 gallons will be fine.

2 gallons will be fine.

To cut down on oil you also want to look for an oil lubricated compressor vs. an oilless.

The oiless contributed a lot of the noise.

Reply to
Leon

I do such activities with my 2gal pancake from Porter Cable. Why so big?

Reply to
patrick conroy

For what you want it for, most any small compressor including the compact "pancake tank" units will do. But if you want to step up in output a little, and I can't vouch for reliabliity, Harbor Freight has a 21 gallon vertical unit for $170 or so that has impressive specs, 11 cfm @40 psi, enough to do some painting if you want. It's their item #47085. Again, I've seen the unit and it looks OK, but have no experience actually using it and can't comment on it's longevity.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

The oilless CH I have is so loud I can hear it running in the house with the A/C on and it is in a detached garage. It works OK but wear hearing protection if you have to stand close to it.

Reply to
Greg

I use a portable tank to fill my tires--works great, and without any noise. An oiless is cheaper, but with more noise. I'd advise a pancake or hotdog style compressor. I like Campbell Hausfeld (I have an extreme duty 25 gal 6HP).

Reply to
Phisherman

If you are *really* intending to use the compressor as you state, get a 4 gal. You want something small, easy to move around, and something that is quick to pump up to 125psi, because you will be storing it empty.

In any case, get an oil-lubed pump (not oil-less). The oil-lubed pump is $20 more, but will last 10 times longer and is much quieter.

The big issue is whether you will use this for more extensive tasks such as spraying or pneumatic tools. In this case, you need to pay attention to the airflow rate (CFM). For your stated needs, 4CFM is plenty. Personally, I am very pleased with my Hitachi 4gal 4CFM, which goes for $240 on Amazon.

Rex

Vijay wrote:

Reply to
Rex_flex

i have this one, and i can't recommend it. it went out on me in 6 months. 3 month warrantee. parts are non-existent, and have to come from overseas from the manufacturer. they're only available in months beginning in q, x, or z.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I use a pancake for that also and haven't found it inadequate. Mine's a Bostich and even though I was warned about teflon lubed compressors vs oil lubed, I don't think the noise is a real factor either.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

any one use the alltrade they sell at checker/shucks/krager auto stores?

's a hot dog style oil lubed, 3.5hp/5gal any thoughts?

Norm Dresner wrote:

Reply to
Richard Clements

I have this kit:

The compressor will do all the things you want, the nail guns are fun, too! I added a quick connect between the output and regulator. To this QC, I can quickly splice in an 11 gallon storage tank. With the extra tank, the unit works fine with small spray guns.

I've seen the compressor alone for about $140.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks everyone for your comments and response. The problem with the pancake units is that they are all quite heavy (50 lbs or more) that makes moving them not too easy, thus the wheels. I have looked at the Porter Cable 4 gal weighs 65 lbs, the Hitachi at about 50 lbs--you get the picture they are all heavy. The light ones are 1 or 2 gallons

--they are oiless usually and I suspect I might long for a slight more capacity. Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments.

Reply to
Vijay

I have been eyeing that on every Sunday's sales flyer, for the price it seems a steal, except it too is quite heavy and without wheels.

Reply to
Vijay

I have 200 feet of airhose. 20 gallon compressor which weighs over a hundred pounds is not too heavy when it stays in the garage. I get out the oiless 50 lb. Thomas T-30A when we go out to camp to blow the water out of the trailer or when palying trim carpenter. 50 lbs is the weight of a small child. My 80 year old dad on his third pacemaker lifts up that compressor. Well he could when he was on pacemaker2 last fall. I am not sure about this year. I may have to accompany him to camp. That Thomas is a bit noisy. I wear hearing protection when I use it but I would anyway shooting nail guns.

Vijay wrote:

Laura Behning Brookridge Morgans

DAPPLE MORGANS!

Jim Behning