Air cleaners/filters

All the talk about the Jet air cleaner has me thinking of another question. Assuming you have a shop detached from the house and further assuming you are neither cooling or heating the shop, would you be just as well (or better) off installing a fan/blower that would simply exhaust air outside without the need to filter it? I suppose you have to make sure there is a good supply of fresh air, but it seems to eliminate the question about getting the right filter.
todd

Sure. Worst case scenario is you blow dust on the neighbor's laundry. A good fan blowing the dust out could eliminate it from the shop and from you.

A neighbor of mine has the unfiltered exhaust from his Oneida cyclone ducted out under the eaves of his garage. In the outside environment, there is probably less impact than from the many other sources, including 'fresh air' woodworking.
Patriarch
Todd Fatheree wrote:

Add - and assuming there are no neighbors who might be allergic to the sawdust (and we're talking very fine, easily airborn carried, sawdust) of some of the available woods we play with.
You do plan to have a dust collector as well right?
Living in an area that requires no heating in the winter and no cooling in the summer is unusual. Surely there's significant changes in humidity. I grew up in the tropics where heating and cooling weren't necessary. Furniture from India and China held up well over the humidity changes range because the joinery was done to accomodate expansion and contraction. Then air conditioning became available and 50 year old furniture started coming apart. So - keep in mind the difference between your shop climate and the climate in which the piece will reside cause wood WILL move.
charlie b