ACQ Pressure Treated Wood - Safe for dogs that can chew on it?

I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it would be exposed to the elements.

I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until today. I was lucky in that the store had ACQ wood as opposed to CCA treated wood, as the arsenic in CCA treated wood is definitely harmful / fatal if ingested.

However, is my dog safe with the ACQ wood? It has no toxic chemicals, and is safer than CCA treated wood, but I can't find anything regarding

ingesting ACQ wood, such as lab testing, or stories with bad endings involving ACQ wood. What is everyone's opinion on using the ACQ wood for the dog house, and is there any testing done that I could look at to set my mind at ease?

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Ian - DIY Extraordinaire

Burn dog house or convert to compost bin . . . will make dog sick . . . sick dog equals big vet bill . . . And I can promise you if anything happens to the dog, miraculously the vet will determine it was caused by the evil treated wood & you will become an idiot forever within your family. lose respect and probably be stricken from the family bible . . .

The Realist AKA "Steve"

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Give him a bone, a big one. Maybe two or three.

If he prefers treated wood to marrow bones, replace him.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

anybody with a usefull response?

Reply to
Ian

When I brought my 9-week-old yellow (yallah) Lab home, he immediately began chewing on my concrete steps. He next chewed completely through some 14-guage stranded copper speaker wire. Lewis Grizzard's beloved Lab, Catfish, ate a large part of his driveway.

Never underestimate a Lab's ability to chew on the dumbest things you can ever think of.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Sorry 'bout that. But, if the canine is into chewing anything and everything, its difficult to determine what building materials would not impact his digestive system or health. You already know that PT wood is not good to eat, regardless the treatment used.

You could pour a concrete slab and build upon that - but the use of PT is recommended for any wood in contact with the concrete slab.

What about the recycled "pseudo wood" deck boards? Expensive, plastic and hard to chew.

I lined my doghouse with 2" foam and thin fiberglass sheeting (like that found in bathrooms) to create an easy to clean, insulated spot for my pet to repair to in inclement weather. But I never considered he would try and eat it.

And, he never used it! Least not that I could prove.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

Supposedly ACQ is OK for playground stuff. Kids chew on that continuously. However, I wouldn't have it in my backyard regardless. YMMV. As one guy said, buy him bones and toys. Train him not to chew on the wood. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I would ask the manufacturer their opinion and for and studies they might have access to so that you can make an informed decision. As you have already noticed by asking here you will get a lot of answers not based of facts

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Nah, I think we'll just keep bull-crappin around on you.

Here's a useful response: Don't be an asshole by posting messages like "anybody with a usefull (sic) response?"

Here's another usefull (sic) response: Do a google search on it. Read the MSDS on it which is very widely available on the Internet.

Here's yet another useful response: Get a different dog. You don't deserve a Lab.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Thanks everybody.

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, read the two responses which precede my "any useful responses?". It isn't like people gave me a real answer and I decided it was stupid. As for the google search on it, I've already done it, and found a lot of the usual non-comittal jargon about how safe it is or isn't.

I'm leaning towards replacing everything but the foundation frame with untreated wood, but would still appreciate it if anyone had helpful information.

Reply to
Ian

Gooey TARBALLS wrote: : Give him a bone, a big one. Maybe two or three.

My dog got very ill, and had to be hospitalized, from having chewed on a big bone and ingesting shards of bone.

Don't give bones to dogs.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Ian - DIY Extraordinaire wrote: : I built a dog house yesterday for a new lab puppy we're getting. I : bought pressure treated wood (both plywood and 2x4's), figuring it : would be exposed to the elements.

: I didn't consider that the dog could potentially chew on the wood until : today. I : was lucky in that the store had ACQ wood as opposed to CCA treated : wood, as the arsenic in CCA treated wood is definitely harmful / fatal : if ingested.

: However, is my dog safe with the ACQ wood? It has no toxic chemicals, : and is safer than CCA treated wood, but I can't find anything regarding

: ingesting ACQ wood, such as lab testing, or stories with bad endings : involving ACQ wood. What is everyone's opinion on using the ACQ wood : for the dog house, and is there any testing done that I could look at : to set my mind at ease?

I suggest getting the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the wood (which I believe the vendor must make available to you; it's also probably available online), then call a good vet and ask about those specific chemicals.

Also, and this may be faster, there should be an animal or pet poison control center in your state. If not, call one in a different state. They know their stuff.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Personally - I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned then build from cedar. I cant imagine a dog ingesting that much wood. My dog is a real chewer but doesn't bother with the dog house (Old wood boards, painted, not treated). I expect the dog house to outlast the dog.

Reply to
No

I built a large doghouse out of CCA treated wood. The doghouse was 4'x8'x4'tall. I have had 3 different dogs in it with no ill effects. My dogs did not chew the wood, though. Chewed everything else for a while, but not the wood.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Wrong answer. Don't burn treated lumber.

Wrong answer, part II -- unless the compost is to be used on flower gardens only (not on a vegetable garden).

Reply to
Doug Miller

The "safe handling information sheet" states "Do not use (ACQ) preserved wood under circumstances where the preservative may become a component of food, animal feed or beehives."

If your dog is ingesting the wood I'd think that would qualify the ACQ as a component of "animal feed".

See:

no(SPAM)vasys

I don't know about all this I used CDX to build my dogs house years ago she never got sick and stayed dry and warm snow or rain. We had plenty of both when I was growing up. I would to this day make another out of plain old CDX slap some pant on the outside and call it good. Never hurt our labs or other dogs we had. The dog house is still in use with the people that live there now. Well it worked for me :) good luck..

Al

Reply to
Al

thats paint who needs spell check? lol

Reply to
Al

I can only offer the anecdotal information that one of our dogs has chewed LOTS of the older CCA PT lumber with no apparent ill effects. She "may" be "part" lab.

Reply to
lwasserm

Timbersil would have been the ticket. timbersil.com

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique