A Trite Complaint

I suspect we've all been here at one time or another.

I went to Lowe's with the idea of buying a Porter Cable compact belt sander ( 2 1/2" x 14" belts). I first checked the bin for replacement belts, but they didn't have any. The aisle associate checked the computer and assured me they were coming in on the next truck. However he wasn't sure if they expected one belt or one package of belts.

I voted with my feet.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

"The *truck* is coming... there may be *a* belt on it."

methinks your feet voted correctly.

Joe C

Reply to
Joe

I have a Ryobi 4 x 36 belt/disk sander that I bought at Home Depot about

5 years ago. Went there to buy replacement belts for it - and they didn't carry that size. They were still selling the sander, but no belts for it. Weird. It seemed very odd to me that they don't carry supplies for their own products.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

That makes two of us.

Would never even consider relying on a big box store for consumable items with the exception of deck screws which for me, are only a temporary fastener.

For the most part, their lumber is garbage.

Have a very good local hardware store that is willing to stock small quantities and order larger quantities, selling at competitive prices.

Harbor Freight for consumables from China when on sale.

Otherwise, it net shopping time.

Buying in standard quantities insures market level prices as well as having the item in my own stock when I need it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Luckily, I've got Coastal, Tools Plus, Western Tool, Brian's Tools, and a Woodcraft. No need for BORG's to buy tools.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Never heard of Western Tool before this. Have to check them out.

Reply to
J. Clarke

WT bought some New England Woodworker's Warehouse stores. A pretty good store, reminding me a lot of the old WWW. Kind of in-between Coastal's heavy contractor orientation, and Woodcraft's focus on finer woodworking.

WT stocks Mirka abrasives, which draws me to Old Saybrook on a regular basis.

Reply to
B A R R Y