A 'puter in your shop?

Page 3 of 5
mrdancer said:

Yea, I love Tom's Hardware Corner - even have a link on my web site. I haven't kept up with this stuff much lately, 'cause there ain't no money in it anymore. I'm not anti-AMD, I just think the flaming Athelon CPUs they made the last couple of years were a bad idea, catering to the gaming atta-boys. Cracking cores and high temps with no overheat shutdown. I still have a whopping 40mHz AMD 386 system! <g>
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

ability
and
Well, I'm not a gamer, but I'm running a 1400 T-bird in one system and a 2500 Barton in the other. I just build systems around AMD because they are significantly less expensive for what you get out of them. For example, I'm running my Barton 2500 (1.83Ghz) at the equivalent of a P4 3.2Ghz. My CPU cost $85 whereas the equivalent P4 cost $397. <g>
Both AMD and Intel have their good points and bad points. It would be a sad world if either one of them left the game, though.
Greg G. wrote:

Those were the days! It was so cool having the fastest computer in the neighborhood, a whole 7 MHz faster than any of that crap Intel was shlepping out. I had an Am80486DX2-80 too.
I'm still an AMD man today though. I bought an Intel when the Pentium came out, because I didn't quite trust the K5 or whatever it was. I came back with this latest purchase, and I intend to continue to buy AMDs.
I guess one reason for this is because I've yet to see some moron in blue paint whacking on a pipe advertising an AMD CPU. :)

You have to see the whole Blue Man Group show to appreciate it. 60 second snippets just don't convey the real deal. Ed
Aint that the truth!!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
i know this is even further off topic, but it's a story i always love to tell. my "every day" system (the one i'm writing this from in fact) is an old 266 MHz PII that has the bus overclocked so it runs at 300 MHz. i never paid much attention to CPU temps, and figured this thing is kind of old (this was several years ago) so if it melts down, i didn't care. well one day i had the case open for some reason and felt the heatsink on the CPU. it was so hot i literally burnt my finger. i told a bunch of fellow computer nuts at work and they couldn't believe it was still running. i have since added several fans to the heatsink and case, and it now always stays cool to the touch. other than power outages this machine has been running steadily since 1998. i can't complain about Intel's products, that's for sure.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:03:17 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

well, actually...
your hard drive is sealed. If the seal is broken, its only a short matter of time before the drive dies, shop or no shop.

y'know, I had the very same reaction and almost posted the same thing, then I thought about dust building up on the drive's controller pcb and realized he might be right after all, though maybe not the way he meant it
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:15:49 GMT, "Fatty Mcgee"

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Fatty Mcgee said:

Actually, drives are NOT sealed, there is a filtered vent that is open to atmosphere. Otherwise the covers would bulge from the internal pressure generated by temperature changes and such. They DO breath.
YOU are not allowed to open them, however, as they are assembled in a clean room, and are generally referred to as sealed assemblies.
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

I open up dead ones all the time - they have some cool magnets inside 'em! :
mrdancer said:

Everyone's a comedian... You are not allowed to open working drives that might be sent back for warranty repairs or those that you want to remain working. <g> Yea, there is some interesting hardware inside. I have stacks of dead hard and floppy drives. Used to repair computers for Forcecom / military. I use the stepper motors, rails, and magnets in projects.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

They're really hard to open too. We took one apart for the hell of it, and it was really challenging.
For the next one that died, I came up with a neat idea though. Worried about people recovering personal data off your crashed hard drive? Cut the sucker in half with a metal-cutting bandsaw! :)

I have a Western Digital Caviar with a .380 cal dent in it. I really expected a hole.
Greg wrote:

LOL! You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
Greg wrote:

No Kidding??
I guess they really are bullet proof. (I have 3 WDCs, So far they haven't let me down.)

Mark

N.E. Ohio

They may be bullet proof but this is the second one that has not held data for me. One was less than a week old. This one came from a guy on Ebay and may have been bad when I bought it. Both failed the same way. Won't come ready and get stuck in a recalibrate. The new one had an error that was well documented on the web site. I got my money back.
Greg said:

I've had less than satisfactory results from some of them as well. Never had a Maxtor drive fail, some of the are 8 years old, but 30% of the WD drives I have installed have failed within 2 years. Maybe it's the humidity here in the South...
Greg G.

FWIW, I've also had no problems with any of several Maxtor drives I've had. To the point that when I buy an upgrade drive, I always get a Maxtor.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Go with Seagate drives. My wife works for Seagate here in Minneapolis, and when I needed to replace a failing driving in my workstation in a hurry, I bought a couple of high-performance IBM drives. You should have heard the clucking from my wife over this. And the gloating a year later when first one failed, and then the other. The WD drive in our TiVo started to fail also, so I replaced it with a pair of Seagate drives. They run much, much quieter than the WD ever did, which is nice for the TV room.
(To be fair to my wife, I can't say I've ever had a Seagate drive fail. Lots of IBMs and WDs have failed on me, but no Seagates.)
So buy Seagate drives -- it'll drive up the value of our nest egg :-)
Greg wrote:

Is this a joke? Seagate produces bad drives as well. In fact that's all they made for several years, until lately.
There are no guarantees but your best bet is to ignore the latest models and install one, any brand, with a proven track record.