a privileged few...

"Open the door!" "I will not open it." "Wherefore not?" "The knife is in the meat, and the drink is in the horn, and there is revelry in Arthur's Hall; and none may enter therein but the son of a king of a privileged country, or a craftsman bringing his craft."

(The Red Book of Hergest, a 14th-century Welsh Bardic manuscript)

Reply to
daclark

...for the benefit of those privileged few, among who they did not count, except as their craft was worthy of acceptance. They were not among the "privileged".

Reply to
Guess who

And, likely had their fingers broken, so they would never equal or exceed the quality of the wood and stone carvings performed for their masters.

Reply to
daclark

Errors look so very ugly in persons of small means; one feels they are taking quite a liberty in going astray; whereas people of fortune may naturally indulge in a few delinquencies. George Eliot - Janet's Repentance, ch. 25

Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning, but give me the man who has pluck to fight when he's sure of losing. That's my way, sir; and there are many victories worse than a defeat. George Eliot - Janet's Repentance, ch. 8

An exile, saddest of all prisoners, Who has the whole world for a dungeon strong, Seas, mountains, and the horizon's verge for bars. Lord Byron - The Prophecy of Dante

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G