A gloat at Sears?!?!

Page 3 of 5
Yeah, what he said.....
Tim wrote:

Maybe. You bought for today. And when you get a hankerin' to build something too big for it tomorrow it won't look like as good a deal.

If you need a leaf blower, that doesn't sound too bad.
You bought a parachute at a garage sale? Care to trust it with your life? Who are your survivors going to look to if it's determined to be defective? IMO, that's an item better bought from a reputable supplier.
Good deal on the oak. That's nice.
Exercise machines are like that. I run a silent auction at my church every summer. Most years people are so eager to donate them I have to decline most of the ones offered. These are things people buy with the best intentions and then find excercise *really is* hard work.
But the original point is that Sears isn't/hasn't been the best place to buy power tools. In addition to shoddy quality on most of them, their customer service is poor.
I especially hate the extended warranty hard sell. My last shop vac came from Sears. A $50 unit that they tried pushing a $20 warranty on. I think they're using the warranty to pump up the profit. Instead of irritating me, why not sell a better built unit that's not likely to need repair and sell it for a little more? Quality will win over the long haul. The good word will spread. Then they won't be a laughingstock.

Asking if you want an extended warranty isn't "hard sell". If you think it is you haven't ever _seen_ "hard sell". The last time I encountered "hard sell" the salesmen didn't back off until Sam Colt became a party to the negotiation.
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:39:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Sam Colt as a negotiation tool. Funny.
We're talking Sears, not Guido & Co. with the truckload of hot washing machines.
In my experience they're doing a little more than asking. Maybe that's initiative on the part of the droid operating the cash register.

Well, I could use the RAS I mentioned.

I am in the middle of 100 acres of oak/maple/cherry. Sure do.

I have three jumps, and just thought it was a nice knickknack; never planned to use it. Selling it for a 2000% profit was serendipidy.

Yes
That's nice. Any plans on converting any of that to lumber?

I'll say that's good luck for you. I really hope the buyer knows what he's doing and inspects it thoroughly before using.
I used to scuba dive. Skydiving is just too much. If my tank ran out of air, I could still make it to the surface. Probably. If my parachute didn't open, well, I can't get back on the plane. Houston, I have a problem.
A number of people I know have bought used parachutes. The first thing they do is to have it inspected by a licensed rigger. In any case, if it fails, they do have a reserve. The skydiving crowd tends to be a little crazy though. They do jump with some strange stuff at times.

That's a good thing - careful inspection. Even better that they take more than one parachute. Do you know if they take only 2? Is it even possible to take 3?
And crazy looks like a pretty fair description of people that jump from perfectly good airplanes.
It's federal law that requires the reserve parachute. That reserve must be inspected, packed and signed off by an FCC licensed rigger while the main "chute can be packed by the user. Yes, three parachutes have been carried by jumpers while testing new designs. Statistically, one is far more likely to be killed or injured driving to or from the airport than skydiving. Modern designs are quite reliable.

Reliable - good to know.
I learn something new every day.
George, I'd forget about the "FCC" part, as CW meant "FAA". Tom George Max wrote:

Yep, it's one of them F words :) I'm also a HAM. Radio on the brain.
wrote:

be
main
carried by

likely to

Modern
Ahh, you're just like me. Thanks. Tom CW wrote:

If the jumper_intends_ to cut away his main parachute(and that is fun!), then they are required to wear a third parachute per FAA regulations. The container/harness system is modified or built with "D" rings on the front to accept the third deployment system. Tom George Max wrote:

George Max (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| That's a good thing - careful inspection. Even better that they | take more than one parachute. Do you know if they take only 2? Is | it even possible to take 3?
It's possible - but the question is really: Once you've determined that the current chute is not going to do the job, how much time is available to deploy the next? From "Beautiful Streamer" (US paratrooper's lullabye): "Time is elapsing - and here is the ground."
There's always the inclination to attempt to correct any problem with the currently deployed canopy before releasing it and trying the reserve...
| And crazy looks like a pretty fair description of people that jump | from perfectly good airplanes.
Ok.

I thought about that while I was writing. Is there enough time to deploy a 2nd or 3rd or..... That ground is rush up mighty fast.
George Max (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:11:09 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| || George Max (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said: || ||| That's a good thing - careful inspection. Even better that they ||| take more than one parachute. Do you know if they take only 2? ||| Is it even possible to take 3? || || It's possible - but the question is really: Once you've determined || that the current chute is not going to do the job, how much time is || available to deploy the next? From "Beautiful Streamer" (US || paratrooper's lullabye): "Time is elapsing - and here is the || ground." || || There's always the inclination to attempt to correct any problem || with the currently deployed canopy before releasing it and trying || the reserve... | | I thought about that while I was writing. Is there enough time to | deploy a 2nd or 3rd or..... That ground is rush up mighty fast.
That pretty much depends on the jump. From 1200' (normal altitude for military training jumps) there's plenty of time to open and shake out a reserve chute. On a 300' combat jump a reserve would just be extra baggage since a normal inflation can eat up to 200' of altitude.
I would guess that if the main canopy were deployed at 2000' or above, there'd be time to try two more chutes. Nonetheless, any person who has accumulated sufficient bad karma should probably stay on the ground...

BURRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Tim wrote:

Tim,
Some people on this group live to just crap on other people's posts... Just ignore them.