6 amp table saw

Hi,

I need some advise on buying table saw. I saw a Beaver table saw in a garage sale. I really like the fence. It is so sturdy. You can only find it in $500 CAN range in the store. But the only problem is the motor is only 6AMP and blade is 8". Just wonder if 6amp motor will have problem to cut some thick hardwood? Also anything problem withe

8" blade size?

Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
tong2k

No problem...with an 8" blade you won't be *able* to cut wood that is very thick _____________

See above.

Reply to
dadiOH

A normal contractors saw is about 16a. More professional saws are 30 or

50a. Do you see where I am going with this? I wouldn't count on cutting anything over 1/2" with it. And... the odds of the fence not being worthless are real real small; you just wouldn't bother to put a good fence on a 6a saw.
Reply to
Toller

It all depends on what he is planning on cutting and making with the saw. I happen to have an 8" Beaver (tilting arbour) saw on which I installed a Mule Accusquare fence. It cuts like a dream. The limitation? About 5/4 wood, but there is a hell of a lot of stuff that you can make with wood up to 5/4.

George Anderson Montreal Canada

Reply to
georgea

Be careful with old Beaver table saws. The 8" size tells me that this is from the 1950/60s and the amperage tells me it probably has only a 1/3 horsepower motor, typically from the 1950/60s. You would do well to buy a new motor to hang on it with at least 3/4 horsepower. I did that with an old Beaver saw that I had given to me from my father-in-law.

Caution, it the saw is the one with a single control knob for height and blade tilt, this particular saw has a problem holding the setting and will start slipping while cutting wood. I threw mine into scrap metal recycling once I bought a 10" tablesaw.

Reply to
EXT

Do you also have a tiger saw, bench dog, bunny plane, plasterer's hawk, and a plumbing snake?

I totally agree that smaller tools can often do far more than some folks give them credit.

Reply to
B A R R Y