240V receptacle/plug type?

What type plug and receptacle do you use for your 240V tools?

I have one machine with full-load at 16A. That's the limit for a 20A breaker, and I don't want to deal with nuisance trips. So I've installed a 30A circuit. But I didn't realize the actual size of NEMA

6-30 plugs until I shopped for them. (straight-blade type, that is)

Twist-locks are a bit more compact (NEMA L6-30). These might also be better if extension cords are necessary, since I'm not sure yet of my receptacle locations vs. machine placement (the shop is small, I use mobile bases). Do any of you use twist-lock plugs and receptacles? Are they troublesome to plug/unplug?

What do you think are pros and cons of both types? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, John Sellers

Reply to
John Sellers

jditto

Reply to
Mark L.

Go with the twist lock, I use it here and the company I used to work for (Ontario Power Generation) converted nearly all its standard plugs outside office areas to twist lock. One of the reasons, when you are up on a 30 foot scaffold the plugs don't just fall out on you.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Gibson

I only use twist-lock plugs because I don't want any chance of a plug coming loose while I'm using the machine. I have no problems with them except for the price: about $15-20 for each plug or socket.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

With most corded (portable) tools, there are always times when the attached cord is too short and an extension cord is needed. Add to that the fact the attached cord is also, almost always, too long to store neatly and conveniently. Therefore, as a standard practice, the first thing I do with a corded, portable tool is cut the cord to only a few inches in length. Then, I install a twist-lock plug on the end of the short cord. Extension cords intended for use with those tools get the standard receptacle replaced with a twist-lock receptacle.

Advantages: Simplified and neater (more neat?) storage of the tool. No work interruptions due to the tool becoming disconnected from the extension cord (or wall socket)

Disadvantages: Twist-lock plugs at the BORG are comparatively expensive. Must use an extension cord for every use of the tool (Minor quibble since I find I need one in most cases, anyway)

In specific reference to questions:

"Do ... you use twist-lock plugs and receptacles?" Yes, extensively, in portable tool applications. Since I have no 240v portable tools, this is only 120v usage.

"Are they troublesome to plug/unplug" I do not find them to be so. I can't speak to 240v, but assume they would be similar

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

only if you prefer to grab the cord and shake it until it becomes unplugged

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I use the following for 240 VAC service with one exception, a 5 HP air compressor which requires #8 AWG and a 2P-40A C'bkr:

2P-30A C'bkr with #10 AWG wire. 30A locking devices for plugs and receptacles.

The actual device may only have a full load of less than 10A, but so what, that doesn't count.

The C'bkr protects the #10 AWG wire feeding the load, not the actual device consuming the power. That is what counts.

HTH

Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the Southland) Visit: for Pictures

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I only use this technique with the household vacuum cleaner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably get the twist-locks - don't want those big honkin' plugs on the tool cords.

John Sellers

Reply to
John Sellers