13" cast iron Delta planer?

There is an ad in the paper for a 13" cast iron delta planer. I guess that is from before my time, as I haven't seen anything like that.
Assuming it is in good condition, is it superior to a lunchbox planer? My 12" Makita works okay, but it just feels so tinny; would this Delta be an upgrade? I don't have room or budget for a 15".
Toller wrote:

Try a search for "Rockwell RC-33" or "Delta RC-33" I have one and it is a beast. It weighs around 400 pounds and has a 2hp Baldor Motor. It is very similar to the current Delta 15" planer (except it is 2" narrower).
Mine works great. Andy

400 pounds?! Sounds like a bargain at $250, but too much for me. Thanks.

Closer to 170, as memory serves, but mine came in held by the handles by two reasonably sized people with little trouble. It is a bargain if in good condition. Has bed rollers, all the adjustments, no "friable" white rubber roller like the Makita, and does as fine a job if comparison between mine and my neighbor's Makita with freshly sharpened - by me, BTW , blades. Assuming your Makita is of some vintage?
As others have mentioned, it'll work for hours without a problem with that induction motor, and it's a lot easier on the ears than a screamer. I'd FIND the money.

I don't know if it would be an up grade in cut quality but it would probably be faster.

And maybe a little quieter then the universal motors on the lunchbox planers.
Darrell

I had totally forgotten that. Cool.
It is superior in some ways. The lunchbox planers will produce a "slightly" finer cut but the price of that is a LOT of screaming.
The 13" was designed for continuous operation and is gonna be around long after the lunchbox has gone to to tool heaven.
Toller wrote:

I've had mine for about 20 years and I've run a lot of lumber through it. We ran it continously for about 4 hours one day, and althought the motor got hot, it has run another ten years. I wish I had the 15 inch model, but I can't justify taking the hit just to gain the extra width. Mine had a recal once to replace a lever for the gear box, and except for knife replacements, there has never been anything gone wrong with mine. Not a bad deal for $250.00! I ran mine for lots of years without dust collection.
--
toolmiser