Yellow lines on road- slightly OT

Page 2 of 2

What can you do about people parking on double yellows anyway? A local car dealership regularly gets deliveries of cars at 8 in the morning and the transporter parks on the road on double yellow lines. The other side of the road isn't controlled but residents park their cars there so somewhat of an obstruction is caused.
Are double yellows with a sign "No waiting at any time" loading/unloading friendly? I would have thought not.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:24:41 GMT, Richard wrote

I am, as the disclaimers invariably say, not a lawyer -- but my guess is that if it was reported to (or spotted by) the highways department, you'd be done for at least the cost of burning the paint off.
There's also likely to be a clause in some statute somewhere that bans you from disfiguring the public highway, with fines and injunctions and that sort of thing.
(In my experience, council highways departments are *very* protective of their right to control all road markings and signage.)
--
Cheers, Harvey

You are right. It is classified as Criminal Damage, contrary the Criminal Damage Act 1971 Section 1(1). Maximum penalty 10 years imprisonment.
Howard Neil

I doubt most adults would be able to state the exact conditions whereby a crossing is 'valid' or 'invalid'. In general kids will be taught to cross at a proper crossing if possible. Common sense dictates what is a proper crossing, until some dickhead decides to paint his own!
Pete