WTB New Dustbins

The current dustbins, originally of good quality but now past redemption, need to be replaced.

These were of a very solid plastic/rubber construction and have lasted many years despite the onslaught of successive teams of dustmen.

I would like to find some good quality bins to replace them, but so far everything that I have seen, especially at the DIY sheds is very poor quality and flimsy.

I don't want to go for galvanised metal bins.

Has anybody come across anything decent?

thanks

Reply to
Andy Hall

We have rubbery bins which we got from our local farmer's merchant (you know the one). The labels they came with said they were 90% recycled tyre rubber. They were about £10 each.

Reply to
Grunff

You have to supply your own dustbins?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes indeed. Some neighbouring areas have wheeliebins, but not here. I'm not sure that I would want them, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah yes. I should have thought of that. I guess that they are sold for feed use?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well don't come and live in Worcester Andy, we are going to be getting them soon if our council has its way.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I don't think they're too bad, except that round here they normally come closely followed by a blue bag for newspapers, a green one for biodegradables, a box for plastic bottles, another one for tin cans... oh boy, can't wait.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Drifting a bit here, but when in Thailand a few years ago I was fascinated by their 100% recycled bins (yeah, am I sad or what!) - they were all over the place, made exclusively from bits of old tyres and quite attractive in an odd sort of way. See my pic at

(you can see them all down the street).

David

Reply to
Lobster

I bought mine from Key Industrial Equipment, Dorset about 7 years ago and it is still in excellent condition.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That's what SWMBO uses them for, but many of our neighbours have much larger feed bins - big things which can hold maybe 1m^3.

Reply to
Grunff

I love ours. Easy to manage, animal-proof, emptied by an automated process ... couldn't be better.

Until something better comes along ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Beautiful. But not beig enough for most Brits' rubbish, I'd suggest. We have very little but I'm always amazed at how overfull and overflowing our neighbours' bins are.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh we already have the bags for recycling. Its the fact that the council only want to collect rubbish every 2 weeks thats worrying people, imagine the smell in summer !!.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Thanks for that, Colin.

Actually it seems that this supplier has a lot of useful stuff so thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I just found these

the larger one seems quite heavy at 11kg before you start, while the smaller one seems to have a rather stupid lid that would collect the rain.

I wonder about

is recycled polyethylene and quite a bit lighter.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you charge the council ground rent for all these containers? :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Our council introduced them about 5 or more years ago. They gave them free, but you had to pay for any replacement. We opted for bin bags, as the house front was designed to accept a normal old fashioned round bin in a cupboard near the front door. Also, the sun gets to this side of the house for its hottest part, so I didn't fancy a fermenting and smelly bin at the front of the house. I forgot to say, I am in a block of 6 houses that are what you might call terraced. There is access to the back of them, but I would not have a wheelie bin there either. I hate wheelie bins, full stop.

rant mode off ;-)

I once went through Stoke, before they bypassed it and saw all those terraced houses with their wheelie bins outside the front doors, all facing South. What the smell was like, I can't imagine.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've never noticed a smell from our wheelie bin.

But I don't put smelly things in ours ... what do you put in yours?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ours are (I'm pretty sure) 90 litres, and I'd guess weigh 4-6kg.

That does look very silly.

I like polythene. The latching handles on those are quite similar to the ones on our bins. Nice feature.

Reply to
Grunff

Round here wheelie bins seem to spawn a cottage industry of bods in white vans loaded up with bin cleaning equipment touting for business....

Generally the bins are ok, the only annoying thing is not being able to stick out exta bags on occations you have more than the normal amount of rubbish to get shot of.

Reply to
John Rumm