Worktop help - can't find a plain black one

I'm after some kitchen worktops. I like the way the granite ones are majoritively black but its a bit pricey so I've been looking for a similar non stone one.

Wickes black slate gloss looks a bit artificial - not as fake as their black marble gloss though. We spotted in their price sheet the black smooth surface one which sounded idea - but the sample of it is absolutely amazingly colourfull. It has blue, orange black and white specks in it.

So does anyone do a really plain black one? we've been to MFI, Wickes, B&Q, some independent places so suspect we've seen just about everything. At howdens online they apparently do one that isn't on show at MFI so we're hoping to get a look at one from there but would appreciate any help.

Cheers

Reply to
Mogga

Looking at my Howden's catalogue there is indeed one called 'Ebony', described as Matt 28mm - P3 Grade Moisture Resistant - according to the swatch in the brochure, it looks 'pure' black.

You probably know they are trade-only, so you'd need to blag it somehow... you might be able to tap up a joiner in the Howden's car park to buy it for you if there's a drink in it? And the more trade they push through their accounts, the bigger the discount they get off Howden's, so that helps.

NB only in 3m lengths which is a bugger to handle if you only have a Mini...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Do they do a gloss one? (See we're being fussy arne't we ..)

Yes we know its trade - but We've hopefully got a joiner coming tomorrow who'll have a trade account and if he doesn't then our builder does. Hadn't thought of just blagging it though for a look. :)

LOL it has to come in someone's van as even though our car is bigger than a mini it'll not fit in. Cheers

Reply to
Mogga

Not in the catalogue no, the only gloss ones are only 'black-based', ie some form of pattern. But TBH are you really sure you want a gloss laminate worktop? You only have to look at them and they scratch, and they look tatty really quickly. Ask your joiner!

If you only want a look, then just go and ask at the counter; shouldn't be a problem. My branch seems to have a reasonable number of end-customers coming in to ask questions and things. Just don't go at a peak time - try mid-morning or mid-afternoon.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Screwfix have some...

Reply to
John Rumm

I hot some rough surface granite..it was about 1/2 the price of the shiny stiff...still steep tho.

Slate is another possible..tho its dark grey rather than black.

Coram is very expensive, but nice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the manufacturers is bushboard they have a web site giving details of retailers. where up on you ca find out the exactly what the full range of colours and stock sizes are.

Reply to
Ed Sirett